Katawa Shoujo

You c-can discuss video gaming here. Just d-don't give Haruhi any strange ideas about dressing me up like game characters...

Moderator: Datastream Command Interface

Katyusha
Sentient Organic Lifeform

Katawa Shoujo

Post by Katyusha »

Anyone browsing Mirror Moon's recent updates lately will have found this already, but I figure it's worth sharing.

Katawa Shoujo (lit. "Disabled Girl." More or less) is an English Language Visual Novel being made by 4-Leaf Studios (which is apparently a bunch of coders, artists, and writers that have never actually physically met before) supposedly based on a thread on 4chan's /a/ boards (which means they're probably either crazy or masochists.)

So far, they're at 200,000 words (according to their most recent entry) and still growing. Which is quite impressive, since, as chendo from Mirror Moon pointed out, that's nearly 1/3rd the size of Tsukihime (itself considered a huge work), and would be considered the biggest (known) such project (in English) to date.

The schtick to set it apart is basically... dun dun dun...

The entire main cast is disabled in some way. One of the girls is blind. Another is missing both arms, and so on. The character you play as also has a heart defect. Unusual, yes, but then, the premise of "slice of life lovestory in a school for the disabled" is interesting. They've also posted some artwork and screencaps of internal testing, and it's looking quite good.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Links:
Forum: http://ks.renai.us/
IRC: irc://irc.rizon.net/#zettai-shoujou

Just so lazy gets the idea, his posts are blocked by default off my side, and it will stay that way.
Nagato
Cognitive Organic Lifeform

Re: Katawa Shoujo

Post by Nagato »

Hmm... I will be following this with hesitant interest. Seems from the excerpt posted that it will be an eroge, though :|
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity
Twitter: Haruhi_SAMA

Post by Taiga »

I'm sure you'll survive. I know I will.
Katyusha
Sentient Organic Lifeform

Post by Katyusha »

Naturally, it'll be an eroge. But then, quite a few big series started out as eroge. Besides, that they tacked on sex in it is no real reason to avoid something that looks interesting.

Just so lazy gets the idea, his posts are blocked by default off my side, and it will stay that way.