MMORPG's, RPG's and games in general....

You c-can discuss video gaming here. Just d-don't give Haruhi any strange ideas about dressing me up like game characters...

Moderator: Datastream Command Interface

Hikaru-Tsuki
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

MMORPG's, RPG's and games in general....

Post by Hikaru-Tsuki »

So anyway, i was talking to Michael and he started to talk about MMORPGS and how good they were and that i should start playing them. So i researched a bit and found a few that are very famous, such as WoW, SilkRoad, 9Dragons, Ragnorok online......
To get to the point and before i waste my time downloading them. Are any of them any good at all? Are they confusing or boring or fun, please let me know so then i can decide whether i 'm gonna download them or not.
Oh and also, I was playing Smash Brawl at my friend's house and it was pretty amazing, It was not very different to Smash Bros though. At the same time i was thinking whether there were games as good are even better than this.
So tell me what games i should consider playing and which i shouldn't even think about.

(Btw I'm a serious gamer, mainly because it relieves me from stress >_@)
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity
Twitter: Haruhi_SAMA

Re: MMORPG's, RPG's and games in general....

Post by Taiga »

Ok... on the mmorpg front... I steer clear. That's because most cost money... and lots of it.

There are one or two free ones (RF online i once tried... but was banned for reasons unknows. Codemasters have yet to rectify this¬¬).

But they work because they soak you in... i've known people become truly addicted to WoW. They're infectious... but if you don't have the free time to become addicted, yet have the money spare... I guess they're good.
Nagato
Cognitive Organic Lifeform

Post by Nagato »

Guild Wars is on par with WoW in some ways and more accessible to those who aren't NEET's. It's also free to play after you purchase the games initially.
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

Sounds a lot more of what I'd be after. Guess I'll try it.
41seinashi
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by 41seinashi »

Sacred: The legend of the sacred weapon (or something like this), was also good. Offline storying, online entertainment.
Computers are like humans. Even thought they can only work with combination of 1 and 0, human are combinations of "one thing" and "another thing". Even though we only know female and male, lots of possibilities are open to the world.
lazysunside
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by lazysunside »

1.Lineage 2 14$/month free for private

Was the number 1 online game before WOW come out. Currently the best graphic online game. My CPU can run Call of duty 4 and crysis but can't run LII very well since its have large buidlings and area. Best pvp game so far

2. WOW 15$/month free for private

Pretty fun game with some wat crappy graphic (little bit improve from WC3)
currently the best Online game in the world. Good quest nice game play. Not so cool stuff like LII.

3. Soul of the Ultimate Nation Currently in beta

Very good game with good graphic. Good PVP and very nice gameplay.
Still in testing so who know Korean and Chinese Step in and welcome. Who don't know it then enjoy trying to play the game yourself <3
The Fight Had Just Begun
Hikaru-Tsuki
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by Hikaru-Tsuki »

Nagato wrote:Guild Wars is on par with WoW in some ways and more accessible to those who aren't NEET's. It's also free to play after you purchase the games initially.

Maikeru.y says: GUILD WARS SUCKS >.<

DECO ONLINE AND SILKROAD ARE THE BEST ^^'
Yuuki
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Yuuki »

go deco go deco~ yea it rock XD
because most cost money
i beg to differ i want on a mmorpg search engine and there wor mostly free (probebly 75%) and if i recall there were like 50,000 on that site o_O
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

L...link plz?

For the good of mankind, I need that hyperlink.
Kagami
Datastream Command Interface

Post by Kagami »

Hikaru-Tsuki wrote:So tell me what games i should consider playing
console only? Because while I dont own one, I do play on the PC a fair bit...
Mass Effect was really good, got me through exam period
Assassins Creed good also, now out on PC
Company of Heroes, old favorite and fantastic campaign play
Call of Duty 4: pure ownage
Portal and Team Fortress 2: addicted to these 2.

and then there is the venerable old DoTA.
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

I suggest Dead Or Alive if you have an XBOX

Great fighting game... with a multitude of rather well-endowed girlies who each have an array of rather winsome martial arts attacks. Several ninja gaiden characters and such in it too.

No weaponry so no blood... but that's great since it gives it more of a martial arts feel. The story is shorts but there's a lot of unlockables.

I'd suggest 2 (ultimate... comes with 1 which was an arcade-only game) as it has far more in it than 3 and better graphics (released later xD), if you only have an older XBOX.

But if you have a 360 there's DOA4 also... which is possibly the most awesome game ever. :3

(yeah... fanservice-based, i know... but an awesome fighting game too.)
Katyusha
Sentient Organic Lifeform

Post by Katyusha »

Well, for the most part, I'm an MMO nut. Generally 1 of those idiots who are crazy enough to go for max-level in every MMO they get involved in.

Quite frankly, most of the MMOs out in the market these days... are well... lackluster. The only ones I really still play are Ragnarok Online (just for the Guild v Guild battles really, since theres little else for me after playing for 5 years), Age of Conan (probably the only recent one Im fond of) and Phantasy Star Universe (though Sega seems to be intent on killing itself... though Senjou no Valkyria has kept me hopeful).

The inherent problem being most people suck, and MMOs expose you to those people. If you have a particular theme or setting in mind, I can probably point you to the closest match. Heh.

Just so lazy gets the idea, his posts are blocked by default off my side, and it will stay that way.
Yuuki
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Yuuki »

Pandemonium wrote:L...link plz?

For the good of mankind, I need that hyperlink.
it was ages ago so i don't remember >< you can kill me now
PLAY DECO ONLINE!!!
IM CALLED Draven ADD ME AS A FREIND AND I CAN POWER LVL YOU ^^
lazysunside
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by lazysunside »

play private server. Mostly free
The Fight Had Just Begun
Jusuchin Panjirinanu
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by Jusuchin Panjirinanu »

I'm with Katyusha. I kinda...quite from MMORPGs. Well, seeing MGS4 is sucking up my game time, understandable. There are games where the people don't suck.....but that's like finding the Holy Grail in your back yard.

A Journey Through Life
Some idiotic anime-based blog.
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

Well... whenever i DO get hold of an mmorpg they screw up.

Final fantasy 11 won't install...

RF online i got banned from (reasons weren't valid... i didn't supply false information at all D:)

And there's 1 i can't remember the name of that was just boring.
Jusuchin Panjirinanu wrote:that's like finding the Holy Grail in your back yard.
~<3
Kagami

Post by Kagami »

FLYFF! FIESTA! LINEAGE2!

whats your fancy? gimme gimme gimme facts, reccomendations. Whats new?

On a side note, before you play crysis, you should play Fallout 3. Totally awesome, and being a major fan of the original 2, it was great to re-live the hype. With these games as well, they demand a whole lot less on your pc then crysis, because of the texturing stuff. Crysis probably could be called more an environment simulator for the amount of depth and destruction you can do on the landscapes. Fallout 3 aint like that, but it still has the eye candy and a storyline to boot.

Fallout 1 and 2...now that takes me back. 2 was and still is my favorite game ever. So full of black humour and being an RPG, you could do almost anything within the constraints of the game. Plus first time through, i reckon there was easily about 100 hours of gameplay. You just dont get that kind of game nowadays, or not often...
lazysunside
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by lazysunside »

I like lineage 2 because of its quality graphic( 3-D mesh equal monster hunter 2 and effect equal PS3) Lineage2 have the best castle pvp and one of the only game that you can fight on mount. But too long to level up and items are crazy expensive.
World of Warcraft....i have nothing to say about WoW anymore.
and currently, i play ace online. Ace is a flying game it is old but i like it since it the second best air fight game in asia.
The Fight Had Just Begun
Yuuki
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Yuuki »

as i described in the other topic, my fav's are luna and mabinogi
adn flyff is...adequite at best (face's scare me) and fiesta is (as i said) a little low on the character distingtion but oh well *shrugs
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

A friend of mine and I have been playing AceOnline recently, which is essentially a free, MMORPG version of StarFox. It's pretty grind-heavy and the quests are INCREDIBLY simplistic (almost every single one of them is "kill some number of monsters"), so I don't suggest it unless, like me, you have a friend you can Skype with. Or have a high tolerance for grinding.

As for Fallout 3, I really ought to do a review of that game sometime soon, along with Mirror's Edge. And Ar Tonelico II.

Kagami

Post by Kagami »

ive been meaning to get fallout 1 for ages now

if you can live with playing older games, then the fallout series is a MUST play. fallout 2 is by far the best game i have ever played. to date.
fallout 3 lived up to my expectations, but lacked the dark humour the series was built on, and the story line was too short. lucky there are expansions coming...
lazysunside
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by lazysunside »

Stilts wrote:A friend of mine and I have been playing AceOnline recently, which is essentially a free, MMORPG version of StarFox. It's pretty grind-heavy and the quests are INCREDIBLY simplistic (almost every single one of them is "kill some number of monsters"), so I don't suggest it unless, like me, you have a friend you can Skype with. Or have a high tolerance for grinding.

As for Fallout 3, I really ought to do a review of that game sometime soon, along with Mirror's Edge. And Ar Tonelico II.
What your name in the game? what server? i'm Red Orchid nice to meet you in atermis
The Fight Had Just Begun
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

xsirhc wrote:ive been meaning to get fallout 1 for ages now
Well, you can get it for $5.99 here, DRM-free and guaranteed to work on XP and Vista. I actually bought it a couple months before I got Fallout 3 and tried to play it. My main obstacle right now isn't the graphics (after all, Baldur's Gate II is one of my favorite games of all time) but the interface. It's really clunky, even compared to its contemporaries.

@lazysunside: My name is "Rimair," and I'm an ANI on Artemis.

Yuuki
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Yuuki »

...i like portal :D.......... :) ........... :? ......sry im going away now
Joel

Post by Joel »

Maikeru.Y wrote:...i like portal :D.......... :) ........... :? ......sry im going away now
As do I, Maikeru, as do I. On another note, me and my friend convinced another friend to get Half Life 2 today. Good times. (It does say games in general, right? Don't want to go off topic)
Yuuki
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Yuuki »

i don't like fps's but what is half life about?
Joel

Post by Joel »

You like Portal but haven't played Half Life... Oh lord that's messed up. The first Half Life's about escaping an alien-infested science lab. Second seems to be about travelling far while killing the aliens which have taken over earth. Its a lot more complex than that. And there's a lot of humour in it. Controls are the same as in Portal, except obviously with guns rather than the Portal gun. And you get a nifty gravity gun thing which can pick up and throw almost everything. Its a good game.
Yuuki
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Yuuki »

i might (might (as in i probebly won't)) play it but as i said i don't like FPS's
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

Joel wrote:You like Portal but haven't played Half Life... Oh lord that's messed up.
Actually I'm in the same boat as Maikeru.
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

I actually have an extra digital copy of Half-Life 2 that I got from buying the Orange Box. So I could gift my extra copy to one of you if you tell me your Steam account name. Keep in mind, though, that if you don't like FPS, it's doubtful that Half-Life will change your mind, despite how great the series is.

Anyway, if you're looking for some good, free games to play, 1UP has you covered. Obviously, I haven't played all 101 yet, but I do recommend Aether, Shift 3, Dino Run, Scary Girl, Don't Look Back (WARNING! This game is hard!), Legend of Princess, Minerva (if you have Half-Life 2, you have no excuse to try this), Gemcraft Chapter 0 (and the original Gemcraft; they're the best tower defense games I've played), Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden (if you play only one RPG on the list, make it this one), Mekuri Master (never has the phrase "guilty pleasure" been more appropriate), and Minotaur China Shop.