Golden Charity (TF2)

You c-can discuss video gaming here. Just d-don't give Haruhi any strange ideas about dressing me up like game characters...

Moderator: Datastream Command Interface

AzgalathQ
Sentient Organic Lifeform

Golden Charity (TF2)

Post by AzgalathQ »

If you don't already know, Valve released only 100 golden wrenches randomly into the Teamfortress 2 population.

You could get the drop in one of two ways:
1. it randomly appeared while crafting items (as an extra product)
2. it randomly dropped to you in game (instead of another weapon)

What angers many people is that they tried the first option. While some people crafted all of their items in vein, others randomly got the wrench without trying. As I'm sure you can guess, this has lead to harassment, jealousy, and hacking attempts (among other things) against those who were lucky enough to get the rare drop.

Well, a few lucky winners have found something better to do with the item: Destroy it. For charity.

That's right! So far, seven wrench owners will destroy their golden wrenches on August 31st for the Child's Play Charity. Which sends games, movies, toys, etc. to children in hospitals to help them during their stay. They are asking for people to give money directly to the Child's Play Charity. When they destroy their items, they will invite the 20 most generous contributes to witness the event.

Here's a link to their article.

What do you guys think? Have they found a good way to both shake off the shackles of TF2 oppression and give back to the community?
Kagami
Datastream Command Interface

Re: Golden Charity (TF2)

Post by Kagami »

I find it hard to believe people actually get harassed in TF2. Man, some people, eh? What trolls. Wiki article on the matter was interesting, although I really fail to see what all the hype is about.