The American Release of Haruhi Suzumiya

Here's where you get to discuss how totally awesome I am! That's right, a forum devoted to me, Haruhi Suzumiya. Post here a lot, especially if you're an alien, time traveler, esper, or a slider!

Moderator: Datastream Command Interface

Kei
Quantum Dominion Singularity
Twitter: mikoto_desu

The American Release of Haruhi Suzumiya

Post by Kei »

Well, we've all seen the english trailer and are eagerly anticipating the English DVD release of Haruhi on May 29. Will Haruhi be as successful in America as it was in Japan? Will it create the same hype here, or will it find itself subject to the same stereotypes other anime endure (i.e. for kids)?
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
AzgalathQ
Sentient Organic Lifeform

Re: The American Release of Haruhi Suzumiya

Post by AzgalathQ »

Ryoko wrote: Will it create the same hype here, or will it find itself subject to the same stereotypes other anime endure (i.e. for kids)?
We all hope it will create a hype... If they pull a "for kids" I'll... POUT IN AN ANGRY MANNER!!!
Nagato
Cognitive Organic Lifeform

Post by Nagato »

Anime has been free of the 'just for kids' stamp for quite a while. In the off-chance anyone does make that quip, a quick summary of Ghost in the Shell or Ninja Scroll will put a stop to them.
I'm mostly worried that it'll succumb to the same pitfalls as Evangelion did: most people won't get the joke, and it'll end up attracting the demographic it's poking fun at and repelling the people who would appreciate such a thing.
Dragon
Datastream Command Interface

Post by Dragon »

Well as long as the Cartoon Network doesn't pick it up for a hackjob broadcast I think it will be safe from gaining the 'Just for Kids' moniker.
Kei
Quantum Dominion Singularity
Twitter: mikoto_desu

Post by Kei »

The problem is, even though anime has been 'freed' from the just for kids concept, I still encounter many people who think that animation in all its forms is for kids regardless. Many people just don't know better.

Regardless, I'm hoping Haruhi is at least moderately successful. It would be even better if it's a smash hit... we'd get more merchandise. :D
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews