The Return of Haruhi Suzumiya?? (or Yuki-chan at least)

Here's where you get to discuss how totally awesome I am! That's right, a forum devoted to me, Haruhi Suzumiya. Post here a lot, especially if you're an alien, time traveler, esper, or a slider!

Moderator: Datastream Command Interface

GadgetTR
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

The Return of Haruhi Suzumiya?? (or Yuki-chan at least)

Post by GadgetTR »

Holy crap, this forum still exists?

Anyway, I was checking out some of the anime that is supposed to air this year and came across one I never expected to see ever.

http://www.afachan.asia/2014/12/news-di ... rmed-2015/

Yeah

It's Haruhi

Well, it's an adaptation of the spinoff manga The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan (which I must say is kind of a strange choice), and it isn't being done by KyoAni, but it does have the same voice cast and some of the same people working on it, so it's still counts.

I honestly have no idea how to feel; I'm still trying to process it all. I had basically accepted that this series was pretty much dead at this point, and then this shows up. What could this mean for the series as a whole? Might the studio doing this later decide to adapt new seasons of the main series? Is anyone else as excited about this as I am?

...does anyone actually check this forum any more...?

Anyway, just had to get this out of my system somehow. Have a nice 2015.
Shamisen
Quantum Dominion Singularity

Re: The Return of Haruhi Suzumiya?? (or Yuki-chan at least)

Post by Shamisen »

Hm, yes the forums are still active.. although I missed your post initially it's been pretty busy in my life...
Thanks for the info... looking forward to viewing this show

Enjoy the magic of every sunrise.
Wonder at the sight of snow.
Appreciate the joy of living in the now.
Upon tomorrow live a new life for a new day.
Shamisen

Post by Shamisen »

Akira • 5 days ago

My list of top 6 fails about Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu:

6. Moe character designs.
5. No espers, time travelers, or aliens.
4. 7+ years too late.
3. Story not from Kyon's perspective.
2. Wait, didn't we already use this plotline in "Disappearance?"
1. My failure to realize that this series is not cannon until after the episode ended :(
Although I've not watched the first episode this was posted on the main site concerning it's contents...

GadgetTR
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by GadgetTR »

I kinda feel the same way. It's neat seeing these characters again and everything but at the same time... It's basically Haruhi turned into a generic moe anime, stripped of everything that made it interesting. Yuki might as well be a different character altogether. I liked her better as a stoic alien. And yeah it's super late... It's like Haruhi fanfiction*...

The show itself.. I'll say it's "not bad." It's just pretty bland. I'll probably keep watching it. Partly out of loyalty for the franchise (because I'm a sucker like that), and partly because I want to see what Haruhi herself and Koizumi are like in this series. Also, I doubt the anti-SOS brigade will ever make an appearance, but if they did, it would be cool to see them animated at least.

*To be fair this is kind of a moot point. The similarly titled Haruhi-chan was basically fanfiction too and it might be the best part of the franchise.
Shamisen

Post by Shamisen »

Ryoko tags Haruhi...

shot64_20.png
shot64_20.png (336.28 KiB) Viewed 15017 times
The real Haruhi emerges...

shot64_21.png
shot64_21.png (403.14 KiB) Viewed 15017 times

GadgetTR
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by GadgetTR »

Oh yeah! I was gonna keep watching this show but never did. D: Is it any good? And by that I guess I mean, does it get more interesting after Haruhi shows up?

and lol at haruhi being the devil
Shamisen

Post by Shamisen »

GadgetTR wrote:Oh yeah! I was gonna keep watching this show but never did. D: Is it any good? And by that I guess I mean, does it get more interesting after Haruhi shows up?

and lol at haruhi being the devil

Oh it gets interesting after Haruhi arrives... and the school trip to Tsuruya-sans family inn, complete with hot spring... Poor Mikuru...
the balance would be spoilers I'm up to Eps 11 as of this writing...

I guess IMO if this was the original franchise this site would have had a different name... It's okay so far but well better than endless 8...

GadgetTR
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by GadgetTR »

OK SO, I finally caught up to this show. Here are my thoughts, in convenient bullet points:

Things I liked:
  • Haruhi
  • This face: http://i.imgur.com/gJjmwWH.png
  • BGM that referenced (or just straight-up the same as) the original show's BGM. I didn't expect this considering it's a new studio doing it so it was a nice surprise.
Things I didn't like:
  • Yuki might as well be a completely different character. SHE DOESN'T EVEN READ BOOKS*! Even Alt!Yuki from the Disappearance arc of the original still read books. Actually, why is she even in the literature club to begin with...?
  • This new Yuki is a just a generic moé blob.
  • The other characters (besides Ryoko, I guess) have even less characterization than before.
  • Kyon doesn't look like Kyon. I mean I guess it's mostly just the art style and I guess he looks more his age now? But he just looks like a typical anime boy now...
  • All the references to the original just make me wish I was watching the original. Best example: http://i.imgur.com/cxcf2o2.png
  • Too many tired anime tropes without even the "Haruhi wishes it that way" justification the original had.
  • Basically a "high school AU" of a show that already had a high school setting.

So yeah. All in all, it's not a *bad* show, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy any of it, but it's just really bland and mediocre. I honestly would not have bothered watching more than one episode if I didn't love the rest of the series so much. Actually, I wonder what Haruhi herself would think of this show. She'd probably say it's too boring and needs more aliens, time travelers, and espers. I'm not gonna pretend the original was perfect either but I just hope the next time we see Haruhi, she's the leader of the SOS Brigade again.

Spoiler:
I know she does read books in the actual "Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan" arc but that's beside the point.