Robotech: Shadow Chronicles

Wait, there are people who watch anime other than mine? I guess you can talk about them here then...

Moderator: Datastream Command Interface

Kei
Quantum Dominion Singularity
Twitter: mikoto_desu

Robotech: Shadow Chronicles

Post by Kei »

On a recommendation from a friend, I recently picked up the Robotech: Shadow Chronicles movie on DVD and watched it with a friend. I was extremely impressed by the graphics, excellent character development and story, and was wondering if the rest of Robotech was as good as that movie. Anybody here willing to share their opinion?
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Katyusha
Sentient Organic Lifeform

Post by Katyusha »

The rest of Robotech = A laughable, almost horrifying soup made from 3 unrelated scrapped together series that they butchered and edited the bloody hell out of to somehow conform to 1 story. Avoid it if at all possible. If not, minimise exposure, and go through the usual NBC (Nuclear-Biological-Chemical) decontamination procedures. And while you're at it, and do humanity a favour and spray whoever sent it to you with Sarin.

Just so lazy gets the idea, his posts are blocked by default off my side, and it will stay that way.
Kei

Post by Kei »

If it's so bad, why is it so popular?
Katyusha
Sentient Organic Lifeform

Post by Katyusha »

Because people don't know any better. Sorta like why DBZ still exists.

Just so lazy gets the idea, his posts are blocked by default off my side, and it will stay that way.
Dragon
Datastream Command Interface

Post by Dragon »

Robotech is a compilation-re-edit-dub of three separate series: Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada. One of the main reasons it is so popular is when I first saw it, was while I was in highschool and it quickly became the talk of the school. At that time there weren't many animated soap opera type cartoons playing on American TV and Robotech basically caught many people off guard and drew in a lot of people who otherwise would have ignored cartoons. The concepts of death in a cartoon was rare in American TV with such crappy titles like G.I. Joe where in airplanes blew up in half ass-ed flames but the pilots always ejected to safety/etc. No one died in American animation. But Robotech threw such non death assurances out the window when the American public was exposed to the death of such favorite characters like Roy Fokker, Ben Dixon, etc. It drew people in to the story as many found themselves watching in stark wonder if their favorite character would survive the next episode. Also when the generations changed Americans were now treated to the concept of a cartoon moving forward with a story with new characters who had to deal with the 'sins of their fore fathers' so to speak. It was all drama and while not totally new in conception it was enough of a change and in the right time slots to draw in a large cult following.
The original animations were from more than 20 years ago so don't expect them to look nearly as good as the Shadow Chronicles. Shadow Chronicles literally takes place at he end of the TV series but it takes some small liberties with the story, that were no doubt done to help make a more seamless story flow.
If you don't mind older animation the go ahead and check out the original TV version of Robotech. You can also find the original Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada series available as well if you are interested in their original story lines. Its very obvious that Robotech is a pieced together series.. but if you like drama, mecha, action, and can overlook the dated/hacked look of it you will find an interesting story. Otherwise you could always just read the novels of it.
Kei

Post by Kei »

Well, upon further research I found that Shadow Chronicles was created by an American company (Harmony Gold), as well as written by American writers, but animated by Japanese and Korean studios. Harmony Gold also has plans for further development of the series, possibly another movie or a series. Here's to hoping we see more Robotech in the future!

In the meantime, I've picked the original series on DVD to watch. I'll get back to you once I've gone through it.
Dragon
Datastream Command Interface

Post by Dragon »

Ryoko wrote:Well, upon further research I found that Shadow Chronicles was created by an American company (Harmony Gold), as well as written by American writers, but animated by Japanese and Korean studios. Harmony Gold also has plans for further development of the series, possibly another movie or a series. Here's to hoping we see more Robotech in the future!

In the meantime, I've picked the original series on DVD to watch. I'll get back to you once I've gone through it.
I hope you enjoy the series. Harmony Gold is indeed the company behind it all from the start.
http://www.robotech.com/