Top 5

Wait, there are people who watch anime other than mine? I guess you can talk about them here then...

Moderator: Datastream Command Interface

Dokuro
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Top 5

Post by Dokuro »

I'm fairly new to this anime lark, only really got into it 6 months ago, so i was wondering if you fine people would post lists of your favorite 5 anime and what they are about
I'll start the ball rolling with mine so far. Bear in mind my expirience is limited so please be gentle with me!

1.Love Hina: First Anime i ever watched so i kinda fell in love with it! A unlucky in life teenager becomes the manager of a all girls dorm.
2.Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro Chan: All about an angel with a giant club and homocidal tendancies. Veyr funny, very random!
3.School Rumble: A whole classroom full of love triangles.
4.Full Metal Panic: A teenager trained to be a fighter since he was young must integrate into a japanese high school in order to protect a girl with unique knowledge. Unfortunatly, he only knows how to be a soldier
5.Bleach: A young man must become a grim reaper to protect his loved ones and save the souls of the dead... while still at high school.

Of course the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is the top of the list but we knew that one already!
Much Love x
Nagato
Cognitive Organic Lifeform

Post by Nagato »

Ah, young Padawan, there is much for you to learn :D

If you liked the Love Hina anime, I highly and emphatically recommend the manga. The manga is so much better that I can't even stand to watch the anime now that I've read it.
You might also enjoy Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu! and The Second Raid.

There's an important announcement promised on the fourth volume of the DVD, and the general consensus is that it will be the licensing of the novels. Before that happens, I strongly recommend you get them here, else you miss out on:
  • Deadly Mikuru
    Petty Vandal Kyon
    Super Moe Mode Nagato
    Asakura's Revenge
    15,498 reasons the fear the Great One
    Yuki's First Date
    Aliens Attack!
    Mikuru's transition into a 3-dimensional character (moe fodder no more)
    Car Chases, More Time Travel, Kyon's Arch Enemy, and a Turtle
    The Princess and the Mermaid, the Ghost named Snow, and Kyon's first Date
    Aliens Attack!
    and A Challenger Appears
About 1/5 of the total material made it into the anime, and even with a second season on the way soon, there will be a lot of information in the latter volumes that, once it's licensed, the English version will disappear for years before the novels catch up.

Also, top five:
Neon Genesis Evangelion
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Crest/Banner of the Stars
Azumanga Daioh
Haibane Renmei
bluemercury
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by bluemercury »

I have to agree with Nagato the Love Hina manga is well worth reading.

as for my top 5.

0. Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
1. Neon Genesis Evangelion, Conspiracy's, giant mecha, insanity. and the end of the world. this one has it all and is the one that got me hooked on anime about 6 years ago. so good I watch it 5 or 6 times a year end to end movies and all.
2. GTO Great Teacher Onizuka. a excellent school comedy about a gangster that becomes a school teacher.
3. Lucky Star, this is a recent anime the last eps was aired only 2 weeks or so ago. and is great fun to watch. with a laid back feel to it.
4. To Heart 2, a good little drama.
5. Elfen Lied. Twisted

School Rumble has a seconded season thats prob better than the first.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Kei
Quantum Dominion Singularity
Twitter: mikoto_desu

Post by Kei »

If your looking for Science Fiction anime, I suggest you try Crest of the Stars which is, hands down, the best anime space opera ever animated (in my humble opinion). Full Metal Panic is another good one (half military sci-fi, half comedy) as well as Big O (noir and very abstract towards the end). Neon Genesis Evangelion is a must-see. The original Gundam metaseries (Mobile Suit Gundam, Gundam 0080, Gundam 0083, Zeta Gundam, Double Zeta Gundam, Char's Counterattack, Gundam F-91 and Victory Gundam) is good as well, although very complex and a bit dated. If you like fanservice and a good story, check out Kiddy Grade.

That's all I've got for now. Hope it helped. :D
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity
Twitter: Haruhi_SAMA

Post by Taiga »

Nagato wrote:There's an important announcement promised on the fourth volume of the DVD, and the general consensus is that it will be the licensing of the novels. Before that happens, I strongly recommend you get them here, else you miss out on:
  • Deadly Mikuru
    Petty Vandal Kyon
    Super Moe Mode Nagato
    Asakura's Revenge
    15,498 reasons the fear the Great One
    Yuki's First Date
    Aliens Attack!
    Mikuru's transition into a 3-dimensional character (moe fodder no more)
    Car Chases, More Time Travel, Kyon's Arch Enemy, and a Turtle
    The Princess and the Mermaid, the Ghost named Snow, and Kyon's first Date
    Aliens Attack!
    and A Challenger Appears
My thanks for the spoilers. Granted I knew most of them... and have transcended the point of a few... but all the same. The announcement appears promising though.

My top 5:

Haruhi
Kanon
Cobits
SHE, The Ultimate Weapon
Bleach
Sir Sefirot
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by Sir Sefirot »

My top 5:
- Neo Genesis Evangelion (no explanation needed!)
- Revolutionary Girl Utena (unique, it has a slow beginning but the end is well worth the effort).
- Dragon Quest (the father of animes like Dragonball and stuff)
- Excel Saga (totally random humor)
- Divergence Eve (a great story in spite of fan servicey animation)

I didn't mention MoHS because I take it is assumed :P

Plus, for the guys here, I would reccomend Colorful and Green Green.
- Is it can be hugs tiem now plees?
- SHUT UP, you puny mortal! I'm not interested in normal humans. If among you there are aliens, time travellers, or espers, come and find me!
AzgalathQ
Sentient Organic Lifeform

Post by AzgalathQ »

My top 5:

Rurouni Kenshin
Full Metal Panic! (and all of the other ones from this universe)
Samurai 7
Gundam 08th MS Team
Haruhi

Sorry, Haruhi is at the end. :oops:
Dragon
Datastream Command Interface

Post by Dragon »

Hmm... My top 5 (no need to mention Haruhi as that should be a given) are.

1. Ah/Oh My Goddess (The OVA's. Movie, and TV series). A fun 'light' anime about a boy and his Goddess, that works good as a 'pick me up' (just don't have high expectations of it) after viewing so many tragic, sad ending, 'life is never happy' animes that tend to be the norm.

2. Crest of the Stars (Including BOTS I- IV) Nuff said.

3. Claymore. Babes with big blades cut their way through midevil times dispelling the evils that would feed upon the poor humans of the world. Sadly around ep 22 they stray from the manga witch held a better storyline. They may still pull it back in the coming second season...

4. Neon Genesis Evangelin. A must see. Nuff said.

5. Love Hina. Yes another 'Happy Ending' anime. (Lord knows they are few and far between.) I've read the manga's and its true. They are better than the anime. Still don't discount the anime though, because it is still one of a few that don't end in a non-needed tragedy.

Other noteables:

Witchblade: At its heart its a love story of a mother trying to provide for her adopted daughter before her own inevitable and untimely demise. Yes it is a spin off of sorts from the American made comic book, but it is its own take on the story of the Witchblade.

Chrono Crusade: Madcap mayhem done NUN style. Rossette Christopher made a deal with a devil to gain his aide in finding and saving her lost brother. Her only real family in the world. This one takes a more serious and dramatic turn about half way through, and although like with many animes it diverges from the manga's story a bit, the ending is a stark reality of why one should never make deals with the devil.

Lucky Star: I haven't finished this one yet, but it can be summed up in one word. FUNNY!!!!

Tenchi Muyo! (All of it!): This is simply a must see. Its the original Harem anime to end all Harem animes.

Kamichu! : Another 'light' anime that tells the story of a young girl who wakes up one day to discover that she has become a god. Its fun with cleaver individual plots that tend to wrap themselves up in a single episode. I really hope they continue this one some day.

Last Exile: While there are some story points that could use some work. Last Exile is a beautifully made anime that deals with conflict and oppression. Enter Lavie and Claus. Two young vanship pilots who find themselves in the middle of a war while trying to discover the mysteries surrounding the disappearance of their fathers.
JustDJR
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by JustDJR »

I havent tried to order my Top 5 in a long time, and its recently expirenced a bit of a shakeup. Here goes anyway

1) Neon Genesis Evangelion - ahh forever champion, I dont know that it will ever be unseated.

2)-5) As hard as i tried i couldnt order these, and after writing out this whole post and coming back to the top 5 finally had a good idea of how to rank them.

2)Honey and Clover: Im in college, theyre in college, its slice of life drama romance comedy and its done incredibly well. Outranks the other 3 by virture of being pretty new, pretty long, and just enjoyable to more audiences.

3)Seikai: You know what Im pretty sure this still belongs in the top 5 but it keeps getting serious competiton. Loses points due to being very slow paced and a bit of a niche show, not everyone enjoys technobable.

4)PlanetES: My love of sci fi with a touch of drama and romance. PlanetEs beats NHK due to it being more enjoyable to a wider audience i guess. It was hard to rank theses last three.

5)Welcome to the NHK: Everything that could possibly go wrong in life here does and its just a great character study. NHK is pretty quirky and even offensive in its study of Satou and his messed up life, so I have to weigh in the reccomendation factor and knock it down to 5.

Honorable Mentions:

Full Metal Panic Series - One of my favorites but the somewhat sketchy season 1 kept it out of the top 5 as a whole.

Haruhi - Not as good the third time, I hope season 2 will breathe more life into it and bring back some of the humor that rubs off after multiple viewings of the short first season.

Outlaw Star - Of the big three 1997 (OS, Bebop, Trigun) anime I think I like this the best. I know OS > Bebop is blasphmey. Maybe i just need to watch bebop again

Cowboy Bebop - Really anyone can enjoy this.

Trigun - A must watch just to flesh out your anime expierence, action comedy was never done so well before.

FLCL- 6 episodes of insanity and great music.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - Im not sure where this actually ranks in my book yet, I need some time to reflect and watch it again. It could bust its way into the top 5, but due to its just sillyness in general and my liking for more serious shows it might reside lower.

Last but not least Full Metal Alchmeist - Probably the most universally enjoyable show since Cowboy Bebop.

Anyway I know thats alot but hey, it is what it is. I didnt even list a lot of shows I throughly enjoyed but perhaps werent top 10 matieral.
Anyone who can put up with that much nonsense calmly deserves a following.
Komaka
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by Komaka »

Firstly,I won't mention Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu because its in the top toppest on my list and it will always be there forever.
Now:
1.Shakugan no Shana
2.ARIA
3.Code Geass
4.Naruto Shippuden
5.Fate/SN
I am sent from the galaxy of Ultheriop by High Magister Rulthferthanas of the HIAPS Being to investigate the cause of a massive dimensional wave disruption. The cause has been a.k.a. SUZUMIYA HARUHI
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

DAMNIT PEOPLE! 3 "u"s in Yuuutsu! Get it right! [/outburst]

Strangely enough... I've only seen 1 only of those 5... And I'm not a Naruto fan really.
Komaka
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Updating information....Complete

Post by Komaka »

I see,3 "u"s then.
I am sent from the galaxy of Ultheriop by High Magister Rulthferthanas of the HIAPS Being to investigate the cause of a massive dimensional wave disruption. The cause has been a.k.a. SUZUMIYA HARUHI
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

yuuutsu =p
Suzonri
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by Suzonri »

1. Haruhi
2. Welcome to the NHK
3. Deathnote
4. Evangelion
5. Tsubasa
=o
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

What's 'Welcome To The NHK' like? I keep spying it on many sites... but I'm yet to actually watch it. Tsubasa... same. Rest i've seen... but Evangelion actually seemed a letdown after not watching it in so long. My tastes must have really changed. Death Note... I read the manga when I find myself stranded near Waterstones.
JustDJR
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by JustDJR »

NHK is what you watch when you want to feel good about yourself because your not as terrible of a human being as Sato is.

Its a psycological exporation of depression, paranoia, and other bad mental conditions.

It's also pretty funny, and incredibly interesting.
Anyone who can put up with that much nonsense calmly deserves a following.
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

May take a look. Not that I need the ego-boost. I'm pretty happy with my life^^
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Re: Top 5

Post by Taiga »

Since my last post I've watched a few more series'

Can't give a top 5, no matter how hard I try... so here's a selection, of my favorites, in no specific order. =p

TMoHS
Rozen Maiden
Elfen Lied
Welcome to the NHK
Fate/Stay Night
Kanon
Clannad
FLCL
Bleach
Death Note
Chobits
Haibane-Renmei**
Read Or Die (series)
SHE, The Ultimate Weapon
Full Metal Alchemist
Lunar Legend Tsukihime
Serial Experiments Lain
Lucky Star
Tenchi Muyo**

From that you can probably guess what kind of thing I like. o.o

Any suggestions of what I should watch next, before TMoHS S2 is released? I'm getting desperate! ;-;

Oh and... the two with ** after the name... can somebody tell me where i can get fansubs? I have the first DVDs... but I want to watch the rest.
__
I couldn't distinguish an actual top 5 chart last time... I grabbed what came to mind XD
Last edited by Taiga on Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nagato

Post by Nagato »

Pandemonium wrote: Oh and... the two with ** after the name... can somebody tell me where i can get fansubs? I have the first DVDs... but I want to watch the rest.
Normally it's not allowed to request fansubs of licensed series, But since Geneon has gone belly-up and there's no option to obtain their products anymore except by buying used (which the manufacturer earns no more profit from than if you get fansubs)... I'll send a PM your way.
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

*nods*I'll keep that in mind. And thanks again. =p
Joel
Sentient Organic Lifeform

Post by Joel »

May as well post my top 5... In no particular order.
Haruhi
Azumanga Daioh
Death Note
Dragonball
Lucky Star
yeah...
lazysunside
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by lazysunside »

Haruhi
GTO
Clannad
EF
Hellsing
Naruto(manga)
The Fight Had Just Begun
Pixel
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by Pixel »

I'm not really good when it comes to just picking a small number of things, nor at getting things in a set order. So, this is in NO particular order, except for Haruhi being first.

Haruhi, the best.
Code Geass
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Death Note (the manga, specifically)
Hunter X Hutner (the manga, specifically)
Clannad
Chobits

I think I'm forgetting a big one....Oh well.
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

You put two manga in there? Hmm... there should be a top 5 manga topic actually =p
Nagato

Post by Nagato »

Go make one ;)
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

I shall!

...once I work out what my top 5 manga are o.o
Xagor
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by Xagor »

Not really sure right now to be honest.

It would definitely have:
Haruhi
Cowboy Bebop
Kino no Tabi

If I include movies, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Nausicaa go in there too.
Seen 3 episode of Mushishi so far and I really like it, so that's likely to go in the list too. Lots of other shows I liked but not sure if I'd put them top 5.
DRS_Airwolf
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by DRS_Airwolf »

Ignoring Suzumira Haruhi no Yúutsu (it's TWO u's ... but one is an extended sound. So three is viable. The ú is my way of indicating the extended sound (CBA going through character map for the versions with -'s)):

1) Gundam 00

2) Hoshi no Koe (Eng: Voices of a Distant Star)

3) Shakugan no Shana

4) Chobits

5) Not actually sure ...

Macross Frontier is a potential candidate once they start showing the rest of the eps. It's certainly got me to look at previous Macross anime.

Ookami to Kóshinryó (Spice and Wolf) also has me interested. But it hasn't been out for very long and there aren't many eps yet.

Will edit post if/when I remember more.
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

Either is good... but it's not yuutsu.
Shamisen
Quantum Dominion Singularity

Post by Shamisen »

The Cat's all time favorite animes:

Anything Kia Asamiya :
Silent Mobius, Steam Detectives, Compiler, Assembler 0X.

Cowboy BeBop *A no brainer*

Trigun, Betterman, Geneshaft, Gatekeeprs, Ghost in the Shell, Galaxy Angel, N.G.E, Noir, Gunslinger Girls, Stratos 4, Big O, and lots more.

From the Old School: Tenchi...

I have a special spot for Crest of the Stars and Banner of the Stars

And finally

Haruhi, Lucky Star and a bunch of others Nagato made me watch. :shock: *Kidding* :wink:

Enjoy the magic of every sunrise.
Wonder at the sight of snow.
Appreciate the joy of living in the now.
Upon tomorrow live a new life for a new day.