Death Note

Wait, there are people who watch anime other than mine? I guess you can talk about them here then...

Moderator: Datastream Command Interface

Dragon
Datastream Command Interface

Death Note

Post by Dragon »

I must admit that I have only watched 1 episode so far of this anime, and I have not been disappointed. The first episode lives up to the manga very well, and I only hope that it continues to do so. I can't recommend the manga highly enough if you are into investigative drama and can stomach non-gruesome deaths.
JustDJR
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by JustDJR »

Well im 33 episodes in and clearly to have watched 33 episode I've had to like it some, right?

At the start, I really didnt like it. I hated all the characters the first 5 episodes. Ryuuk was kinda entertaining but other than that it was just Light running around being a self-righteous jerk, but the premise was interesting enough to solider on, and it paid off when the whole battle between Light and L started to get off the ground.

So after about 10 episodes I was hooked and have put up with some of its sillyness(EPIC PEN SWIPES) and illogical parts to enjoy the great story.
Anyone who can put up with that much nonsense calmly deserves a following.
Krompt
Inactive Member

Post by Krompt »

Definetly one of my favorite anime's of all time :wink:
It has a nice blend of mystery, action, and gret perspective on.......death. I really liked it.
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

You should try the manga. :D
Krompt
Inactive Member

Post by Krompt »

Dragon wrote:You should try the manga. :D
Don't worry...........I did :roll:
Kagami

Re: Death Note

Post by Kagami »

watched this series while in whyalla...in one hit.
addicting storyline and well developed characters. gotta love L and his mannerisms, plus the twists that go on between him and light. and then there is misa played by our very own aya.

story went a bit off the rails halfway through though and never really recovered.
Kagami

Post by Kagami »

there seems to be a lot of interest in turning anime series into live action feature length films.

warner bros are the latest to jump on this bandwagon, targeting and acquiring the rights to Death Note.

well after the flop that was dragonball, and the prospect of zac effron as sagara in an FMP remake, plus ninja scrolls...please, PLEASE, warner bros, just leave it alone.
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity
Twitter: Haruhi_SAMA

Post by Taiga »

As long as they don't adapt Haruhi, Shana or ToraDora I'm happy.
Joel
Sentient Organic Lifeform

Post by Joel »

xsirhc wrote:there seems to be a lot of interest in turning anime series into live action feature length films.

warner bros are the latest to jump on this bandwagon, targeting and acquiring the rights to Death Note.

well after the flop that was dragonball, and the prospect of zac effron as sagara in an FMP remake, plus ninja scrolls...please, PLEASE, warner bros, just leave it alone.
Dragonball was a flop? I liked it... I don't see what's wrong with live action films based on manga. Its only the same as what's happened to Batman and Spiderman and other such comics. Death Note has a decent story so, as long as the director isn't stupid, it should turn out alright. The Japanese live action films weren't so bad.
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity
Twitter: Haruhi_SAMA

Post by Taiga »

Dragonball was only like the original media in name.

I didn't get into the Dragonball anime or manga... but I know enough to see that the film was completely different.
Joel
Sentient Organic Lifeform

Post by Joel »

Pandemonium wrote:Dragonball was only like the original media in name.

I didn't get into the Dragonball anime or manga... but I know enough to see that the film was completely different.
And I saw the film and it was very much like the manga. There were plenty of differences but you can't really have flying, talking, blue cats and such in a film trying to be realistic (kinda). But yeah, there were enough similarities for it to make me happy (there would have to be a lot for that) and enough differences to make it fresh. The trailers did no justice at all to the film. It was a good film, faithful to the manga in more ways than most films based on these sorts of things.
Kagami

Post by Kagami »

This sort of comes down to the saying 'dont ever meet your childhood heroes' (James May).
Death Note was great as a series, but the only reason someone wants to make a feature film is to make more money out of it in another market, obviously. I think for me there is alot of prejudice with hollywood here as well. Its great at alot of things, but I do not want to see westernised versions of the anime greats. Alot of the story is built inside japanese culture, and once you try to replicate or remove that for western cultures, it just goes downhill quick. Leave it to the japanese, I say, let them decide on feature length live action films. They certainly do pretty well with the live action series (densha otoko springs to mind, or hana kimi, or many others, dont quote me on this).
lazysunside
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by lazysunside »

i did go through the manga sometime and i know that American version of asia movies suck
The Fight Had Just Begun