Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

Wait, there are people who watch anime other than mine? I guess you can talk about them here then...

Moderator: Datastream Command Interface

Smokie
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

Post by Smokie »

Has anyone watched it? Basically, it starts out as your typical magical girl genre. After a few episodes you realize it has way deeper characters, emphasis on the magic and real fights. In fact, it probably is somewhere between shonen and seinen. It doesn't shy away from a tragic plotline. It's a bit boring in the beginning, because it takes some time to reveal it's true self.

Then, Season 2 "Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's" rolls in. This one is my favourite, like for so many other people too. It has deep characterization, you feel sorry for the antagonists (quite frankly, they aren't even evil). But the most awesome thing about this one are the fights. They are grand battles on the size of mecha-animes or Dragonball Z. They have technobabble and powerlevels. Giant spaceships. They have badass weapons that talk. Seriously, you have to check it out.

Season 3 "MGLN StrikerS" wasn't as great as A's great in my eyes. It's a huge Time Skip and they brought new characters in. By now, the show get's shifted extremly into military-esque genre.

All in all, it really did something unique with such a clichéd and girly genre. Contains slight fanservice with underaged girls, if that puts you off. But it's not overdone, trust me.
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity
Twitter: Haruhi_SAMA

Re: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

Post by Taiga »

Sounds like a mix of negima and something i've not seen *shrug*

Shall check it out
Kagami
Datastream Command Interface

Post by Kagami »

3 months relying on the CDMA network for my internet = no downloading of anime *waaaaah*
this will be put on the 'to watch' list
Nagato
Cognitive Organic Lifeform

Post by Nagato »

I also enjoyed Nanoha. It has a bit larger of a brain than Smokie would lead you to believe, actually :P
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity
Twitter: Haruhi_SAMA

Post by Taiga »

Saw an image on 4chan (=D) posted by another who'd seen this and was asking to see others who had.

Image was 3 pictures next to each other:

Code: Select all

What I watched (Nanoha)

What i expected (cardcaptor sakura)

what i got (dragonball)
It amused me so i thought I'd tell you lot.
*shrug*

I watched the first episode but MegaVideo now limit their bandwidth use by cutting you to 72 minutes watching, if you don't have a paid account. Then you have to wait an hour to watch any more. That gets annoying... oh so annoying.
Smokie
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by Smokie »

Speaking of 4chan, here's a very accurate post made by anonymous:
Episodes 1-3
>Oh hey, this looks like some generic magical girl show. All they do is collect a bunch of jewels.
Episode 4
>A rival? This looks pretty run of the mi-HOLY --
Episodes 5-8
>OH -- THIS IS GETTING AWESOME SPACE SHIPS
Episodes 9-12
> YES I WANT TO BEFRIEND YOU JESUS CHRIST STARLIGHT BREAKER CALL OUT MY NAME

A's
>OH GOD MY ASS THE BRICKS WON'T STOP THIS IS THE GREATEST SHOW EVER YES WOLKENRITTER WHITE DEVIL EXCELLION MODE FULL POWER NO REINFORCE DON'T GO

Strikers
>...
Last edited by Taiga on Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: i tried to filter it... but my god it was hard