OreImo thread

Wait, there are people who watch anime other than mine? I guess you can talk about them here then...

Moderator: Datastream Command Interface

Post Reply
User avatar
Ryu
Cognitive Organic Lifeform
Posts: 602
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:17 pm
Location: Just out of shot

ANIME FALL SEASON 2010

Post by Ryu » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:21 pm

Alright, alright I cooled my heels a little bit and gave OreImo more than seven minutes of my time. First episode wasn't so bad aside from the major issue of MY UNDERAGE SISTER IS INTO CP and the fact that the main character isn't concerned in the slightest, and doesn't try to, you know, get her to stop buying the stuff. That and the creepy ass fanservice. (close-up of a little girl's butt)

However, I drew the line at the second where the author stands on his soapbox and talks about the plight of the poor beleagured Otaku, and then the brother offers to take her to a gathering of child porn enthusiasts. What the hell?What kind of older brother would do that? This is like some kind of bizarro universe created specifically to make people who buy child porn to feel good about themselves. I really wouldn't have this issue if she was just into anime and/or Non-H dating sims (WITHOUT THE LITTLE SISTER COMPLEX BIT THANK YOU VERY MUCH), but NOPE GOTTA TAKE THAT BALL AND RUN THE WHOLE TEN YARDS.

Yet the production values of this are excellent, animation and voice acting is pretty great (although the "little sister" seems a bit off at times) and the dad is GENDO for goodness' sake. It just baffles me how many resources were put into this and not something else.

God damn you Japan. God damn you.


That Maid show 2: Animation was really weird this time around. Characters were flopping all over the place, but I'm going to give it a pass because it is a slice of life maid show that is fairly down to earth and isn't utterly retarded.
Last edited by Ryu on Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
METAPOD NOOOOO

User avatar
Nagato
Cognitive Organic Lifeform
Posts: 670
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:19 am

Re: ANIME FALL SEASON 2010

Post by Nagato » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:31 pm

I think you misinterpreted 90% of OreImo. For one, her brother was freaking out when he first realized that everything she had was about to younger sisters. Two, the gathering they went to wasn't purely for eroge enthusiasts, it was for fans of anime. Three, one of the two friends she made there doesn't even seem interested in eroge at all.
Image

User avatar
Ryu
Cognitive Organic Lifeform
Posts: 602
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:17 pm
Location: Just out of shot

Re: ANIME FALL SEASON 2010

Post by Ryu » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:24 pm

My apologies for flying off the handle (again) but goddamn.
Nagato wrote:I think you misinterpreted 90% of OreImo. For one, her brother was freaking out when he first realized that everything she had was about to younger sisters. Two, the gathering they went to wasn't purely for eroge enthusiasts, it was for fans of anime. Three, one of the two friends she made there doesn't even seem interested in eroge at all.
In response to 1. The older brother wasn't freaking out enough in my opinion. Anyone else, after seeing that tower of child porn would have told Mom and Dad, or at least would have gone: "yes sister mine your extensive collection disturbs me." Instead he indulges her.

2&3 you are absolutely correct in your rebuttal, and I was wrong in jumping to the conclusion that Otaku meet = Child porn enthusiasts (I had originally thought this due to associating the group of like minded people to the more "extensive" part of the collection). HOWEVER, this comes to the point in my previous spergy post is that if she wasn't both underage and into porn of that nature, then there wouldn't be an issue. Being WAY too into animes and magical girls and whatever, yet trying to be "normal" is a fine talking point. You might even say that the underage/eroge aspect doesn't even add anything to the story, it's just a cynical move by the author to appeal to the lowest common denominator or just a plot point to make him seem EDGY. Really, it's just one dumb thing that colours the whole show in a horrible light for me.
METAPOD NOOOOO

User avatar
Ryu
Cognitive Organic Lifeform
Posts: 602
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:17 pm
Location: Just out of shot

Re: OreImo thread

Post by Ryu » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:31 pm

Holy crap what a terrible way to start a thread. (And I cannot stop laughing)

*ahem*

This thread is for OreImo discussion! ~Enjoy~

(ノゝ∀・)~キラ☆

Ryu
METAPOD NOOOOO

User avatar
Kei
Quantum Dominion Singularity
Posts: 1494
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:46 am
Twitter: mikoto_desu
Location: Just on the border of your waking mind...
Contact:

Re: OreImo thread

Post by Kei » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:37 pm

So? It's a parental myth that children and teenagers live out their formative years in some sort of chastity bubble. Thanks to film, TV and the internet, our children are exposed to all manner of sexually explicit material before they've reached the age of consent. Do you know how many 14-year-olds browse 4chan and Danbooru? Or have porn magazines? Or sneak a peek at the latest Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition?

OreImo is fairly realistic in this regard. It's not at all unusual for a 14-year-old girl, who has just hit puberty, to be viewing this kind of sexual material. The fact that OreImo treats this issue realistically is what makes it so endearing to me. In the simplest terms, the message seems to be... Porn exists. Get over it.
Image
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

User avatar
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity
Posts: 3304
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:34 am
Twitter: Haruhi_SAMA
Location: Here in body, if not in spirit.

Re: OreImo thread

Post by Taiga » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:58 am

What Jon said.

The third episode particularly goes into this point...
Spoiler:
when her dad find out and actually tries to ban her in a fit of rage, but nice brother of hers claims they're his... and daddy makes a point about the sistercon point
As for 'CP'... I'm pretty sure it's a little less important when the girl herself is closish to the same age as the lolis in the game. It would be weirder to me if she was playing eroges with characters much older than her.

To me your first post read more like an over-charged attack on their morals than much else, Ryu. The sister complex choice of galge is actually quite funny, in my opinion... because it opens up the door of her possibly being attracted to her brother... which either she isn't, or she's hiding it like mad. When a big part of the show is about how weird her hobby is and the way people's opinion of it falls on the fact that she'll become some perverted shut in, her possible denial of an attraction that would make the whole things worse is actually pretty effective.

Or at least, that's how I see it. I've really enjoyed the first three episodes.

User avatar
Ryu
Cognitive Organic Lifeform
Posts: 602
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:17 pm
Location: Just out of shot

Re: OreImo thread

Post by Ryu » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:28 am

Kei wrote:So? It's a parental myth that children and teenagers live out their formative years in some sort of chastity bubble. Thanks to film, TV and the internet, our children are exposed to all manner of sexually explicit material before they've reached the age of consent. Do you know how many 14-year-olds browse 4chan and Danbooru? Or have porn magazines? Or sneak a peek at the latest Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition?

OreImo is fairly realistic in this regard. It's not at all unusual for a 14-year-old girl, who has just hit puberty, to be viewing this kind of sexual material. The fact that OreImo treats this issue realistically is what makes it so endearing to me. In the simplest terms, the message seems to be... Porn exists. Get over it.
I do, once again apologize for the hyperbolic rant. You might as well replace that with a picture of a train wreck. But my main issue isn't the exposure to porn, it's the exposure to incestuous child porn. And the creepy fanservice which there isn't much of so that's a moot point.
Taiga wrote:What Jon said.

The third episode particularly goes into this point...
Spoiler:
when her dad find out and actually tries to ban her in a fit of rage, but nice brother of hers claims they're his... and daddy makes a point about the sistercon point
As for 'CP'... I'm pretty sure it's a little less important when the girl herself is closish to the same age as the lolis in the game. It would be weirder to me if she was playing eroges with characters much older than her.

To me your first post read more like an over-charged attack on their morals than much else, Ryu. The sister complex choice of galge is actually quite funny, in my opinion... because it opens up the door of her possibly being attracted to her brother... which either she isn't, or she's hiding it like mad. When a big part of the show is about how weird her hobby is and the way people's opinion of it falls on the fact that she'll become some perverted shut in, her possible denial of an attraction that would make the whole things worse is actually pretty effective.

Or at least, that's how I see it. I've really enjoyed the first three episodes.
Alright, this is a better explanation/summary and the spoiler text has got my attention. Alright, I'm going to cool off and give this another go with these points in mind and stop winging about it.

Sorry for being such a drama queen. I guess it just hit a little too close to home.
METAPOD NOOOOO

User avatar
Kei
Quantum Dominion Singularity
Posts: 1494
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:46 am
Twitter: mikoto_desu
Location: Just on the border of your waking mind...
Contact:

Re: OreImo thread

Post by Kei » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:33 am

I award you the official Drama Queen merit badge. It's FABULOUS!

Image
Image
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

User avatar
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity
Posts: 3304
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:34 am
Twitter: Haruhi_SAMA
Location: Here in body, if not in spirit.

Re: OreImo thread

Post by Taiga » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:23 am

That IS pretty fabulous.

User avatar
Nagato
Cognitive Organic Lifeform
Posts: 670
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:19 am

Re: OreImo thread

Post by Nagato » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:32 am

The fact that incestuous CP "hit a little to close to home" kinda makes me wonder about where you're coming from with all this.
Image

User avatar
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity
Posts: 3304
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:34 am
Twitter: Haruhi_SAMA
Location: Here in body, if not in spirit.

Re: OreImo thread

Post by Taiga » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:06 pm

Nagato wrote:The fact that incestuous CP "hit a little to close to home" kinda makes me wonder about where you're coming from with all this.
I had the same question in mind, but I thought I'd rather not know the answer xO

User avatar
Ryu
Cognitive Organic Lifeform
Posts: 602
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:17 pm
Location: Just out of shot

Re: OreImo thread

Post by Ryu » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:50 pm

Woah, woah, woah. I meant that it's a thing that I find utterly and indefensibly, condemnable. Jesus.

OPERATION: DON'T GET MAD ABOUT CARTOONS IS OSCAR MIKE

Notes from the episodes are below:
Spoiler:
#1: 4/10
- LS probably using the games for the "cuteness" and the experience of having a little sister rather than the adult content (p. unbelievable but that's how it looks)
-80% of the music is grating and awful
- Most jokes were flat (you could attribute this to having it being watched 3 times in close succession- bumping it up from 5->7/10)
- awful scene transitions + sound effects for the transitions becomes annoying v. quickly.
- Drove the whose game is it? into the ground.
- Creepy fanservice shots @ 9:45 & 16:58
- last 5 mins v. good
- B & LS dynamic starting to shine.
-Threw up in mouth at start of ero game scene.
-End.
-B - Likeable character.
-LS - almost bland "tsundere" for most of ep.
- M&F - not enough screen time to judge

#2: 7/10
- Less music problems
- Still horrible scene transitions (but less of them).
- LS "No friends" for passion -> pathos.
- B being a bro.
- good dynamic.
- Akhibara maid cafe -> plays w/ the whole sister thing -> B's reaction & awkwardness good.
- Otaku meet up -> dull -> until LS is eventually ignored -> pathos.
- Aftermath -> B&LS dynamic again.
- Invitation to After party - "not boyfriend" joke -> flat & overdone.
- After party ->obsessive argument -> great. esp. visualisations-> sets up LS and GG rivalry/dynamic.
- Comparison montage - good - more sniping.
- Home -> B completes the game - over reaction -good.
- B and LS getting along etc. etc.
-End.
-B still good
-LS - More depth added.

#3: 3/10
-Scene transitions still bad (they will always be this way, but it's still a point against it)
- Less music problems.
- Scenes with LS out in Akhhibara - p. dull without B to be the "outsider." -> some LS & GG sniping.
- Scenes with B w/ friend - esp. lap scene - great.
-Father confrontation scene-> good build up (B arrives @ aftermath - sis looks crushed)
- B&F argument -> F strawman -> "CP is bad becauseit turns you into an Otaku and they are bad 'cause that's what it says on TV"
- B shown to be in right for defending LS' obsession [fine, greater understanding of LS' motivations], father in wrong [not understanding issue, but cp is cp].
-Issue of cp not really dealt with even when B covers for LS (pr. cultural differences from J to W). -> this had better come up again
-B takes a hit. Realistic reaction. Now "worthless" to father [already ignored though in a he can take care of himself way]. -> this had also better come up again.
-LS could be a little more grateful
- End
B- p. cool, got a bit over-protective.
LS - nothing new, other than being slightly grateful.
F- the parental voice of reason -> pr. doesn't get good treatment from this ep.-> strawman.
M - not enough info
B= Older Brother
LS= Little Sister
F=Father
M=Mother

Overall it isn't bad once you get past the cp (I never thought I would be saying this) and there are some threads left in this episode that'll keep me in it for 4. If they magically disappear though, then that's just bad writing.

So I was wrong, but Jesus Christ I could not recommend this show to anyone other than people who are watching on their own volition and are into it. Very very VERY far into the Otaku niche.

HOLY **** WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME
Kei wrote:I award you the official Drama Queen merit badge. It's FABULOUS!

Image
Image
Last edited by Ryu on Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
METAPOD NOOOOO

User avatar
Ryu
Cognitive Organic Lifeform
Posts: 602
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:17 pm
Location: Just out of shot

Re: OreImo thread

Post by Ryu » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:46 am

Haha. Hahahahaha.
Spoiler:
Wikipedia wrote:

Kyōsuke Kōsaka (高坂 京介, Kōsaka Kyōsuke?)
Voiced by: Yuichi Nakamura
Kyōsuke is the 17-year-old main character of Oreimo. He has a distant relationship with his sister, feeling that this will never change. However, this suddenly changes when he finds one of her adult games and learns that she is an otaku. Through this, he tries to be a supportive older brother while realizing he himself knew very little about his sister, such as being almost flawless at school to working as a model. In later volumes of the light novels, he develops feelings for Kirino and finds that he cares for her more than a brother would care for his own sister.

Kirino Kōsaka (高坂 桐乃, Kōsaka Kirino?)
Voiced by: Ayana Taketatsu
Kirino is Kyōsuke's 14-year-old younger sister. She is mature for her age with a cold, tsundere-like personality. She has a strong "little sister" fetish and owns many adult games with older brother/little sister themes, which she got a job modeling to pay for. Despite this, she states she does not know why she started liking it, though it is suggested that she has a brother complex and is using the games as a surrogate to this. She often denies such feelings and believes the 2D and 3D worlds should be kept separate. In later volumes of the light novels, she asks Kyōsuke to be her boyfriend for unknown reasons.
??? wrote:
It's about a **** 14 year old who watches child pornography to cope with her sexual attraction to her older brother you retard. It's intended to be source material for people's fetishes, even if it doesn't directly espouse them. It's about an "adorable otaku little sister" who is into all the pornographic and creepy bull**** it's intended audience is into, which is supposed to give a personal and sexual attachment to the character. This is it's entire goddamn point as a media product. Full stop.
Image
Ok I'm out. I'm done.

Enjoy the thread and enjoy the show ladies and gents.
Last edited by Ryu on Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
METAPOD NOOOOO

User avatar
Nagato
Cognitive Organic Lifeform
Posts: 670
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:19 am

Re: OreImo thread

Post by Nagato » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:09 am

Aww, I wanted to troll him some more.
Image

User avatar
Ryu
Cognitive Organic Lifeform
Posts: 602
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:17 pm
Location: Just out of shot

Re: OreImo thread

Post by Ryu » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:38 am

Trap well sprung sir, trap well sprung. Image
METAPOD NOOOOO

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests