Otaku USA

Wait, there are people who watch anime other than mine? I guess you can talk about them here then...

Moderator: Datastream Command Interface

Kei
Quantum Dominion Singularity
Twitter: mikoto_desu

Otaku USA

Post by Kei »

While picking up my monthly issue of Newtype USA a couple of weeks a go, I noticed a new magazine for sale called Otaku USA. Intrigued, I bought a copy. After reading the first issue (August 2007), I came to the following conclusion: Otaku USA is trying to be a competitor to Newtype USA (i.e. a large format magazine with a manga insert and centerfold). Despite this, there are several key differences between Newtype and this newcomer.

Unlike Newtype, Okatu has no Japanese counterpart. It is a definitively American magazine written by American authors, although some of their authors are residents of Japan. Also, they lack the double-page show spreads that Newtype features, preferring to instead use a more traditional 'feature article' format. (Interestingly enough, they had an article on the upcoming Transformers movie, which is not technically anime.) Also, Otaku USA is only released bimonthly, as opposed to Newtype USA which comes out every month.

Overall, I like this magazine. Although they are different from Newtype, nobody ever said different is bad. Most of their feature articles were well-written and interesting (especially the one on Gunpla) and I look forward to reading more issues.

Has anybody else seen or read this magazine? I'd like to hear what you think of it.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
bluemercury
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by bluemercury »

I found it to be a good mag for half the price of newtype. it dosen't have the eye cachiness of newtype almost no art in the mag other than clips from shows and the adds, and it dosen't say much about new anime in japan. it covers whats new in the US rather well. about as good as newtype and has a few good articals like the one on Gunpla Ryoko mentioned. a little redundant if im also reading newtype since newtype covers most of with is in otaku.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Kei
Quantum Dominion Singularity
Twitter: mikoto_desu

Post by Kei »

Yeah, half-price is always a plus. :P

Newtype does have good articles, but I think the ones in Otaku USA were better written. Still, each magazine has it's good points and bad; for the time being I'll continue to read both.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Dragon
Datastream Command Interface

Post by Dragon »

I heard about this on a Rightstuf podcast a while back. I don't remember which one it was though. :wink:
Suzonri
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by Suzonri »

I read an issue, it's okay. I prefer NewType though, but then again I'm kinda new to that too >_>
=o