WINTER SEASON 2010/11: WELP.

Wait, there are people who watch anime other than mine? I guess you can talk about them here then...

Moderator: Datastream Command Interface

Ryu
Cognitive Organic Lifeform

WINTER SEASON 2010/11: WELP.

Post by Ryu »

source: http://twitter.com/cowboybibimbop

Well I sure am glad that Autumn season was so terrible, otherwise we may never have seen the likes of such quality programs as:

Onii-chan blah blah blah blah!!!

Cardfight!!

That one about the girl from the pachinko machines

Seriously though, the only things that have caught my eye are:

Mazinkaiser

Beelzebub

Hourou Musuko

BONES

But I guess I'm already watching like seven shows that I think are excellent so I probably won't pick anything up. Other than that one about that girl from the pachinko machines.

http://randomc.net/2010/12/25/winter-2011-preview
Last edited by Ryu on Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
METAPOD NOOOOO
Nagato

Re: WINTER SEASON 2010/11: WELP.

Post by Nagato »

'Hourou Musuko' is the only thing I'm really looking forward to.

'GOSICK' might be worth a shot, but good detective shows are really rare and I'm very critical of them.

I'll definitely check out 'Remember My Lovecraft' out of morbid curiosity.

'Supernatural' OVA? Like, based on the American TV show? That's... random.

I'm pretty impressed by how blatant of a ripoff 'I Don't Like My Older Brother at All!' (that onii-chan anime) is of OreImo. Even the font in the picture is the same...
Iroha Tsuchiura (土浦 彩葉, Tsuchiura Iroha?)
Voiced by: Marina Inoue
Iroha is Shūsuke's old friend before Nao's adoption. Because she was sexually molested by Shūsuke, she claims that she is a lover of Shūsuke. She tries to have sexual intercourse with him.
Wait... what?

"A weird dream about a war with cats" almost makes me want to watch Yumekui Merry.

'Yuri Seijin Naoko-san' sounds like somebody watched Blue Drop and thought it should have been less depressing.
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

Nagato wrote: I'm pretty impressed by how blatant of a ripoff 'I Don't Like My Older Brother at All!' (that onii-chan anime) is of OreImo. Even the font in the picture is the same...
Iroha Tsuchiura (土浦 彩葉, Tsuchiura Iroha?)
Voiced by: Marina Inoue
Iroha is Shūsuke's old friend before Nao's adoption. Because she was sexually molested by Shūsuke, she claims that she is a lover of Shūsuke. She tries to have sexual intercourse with him.
Wait... what?
All I can hear is:
"Hey anime fans! You enjoyed OreImo so much that we'd like you to meet its million billion grotesquely deformed children!" Coming down from the mountaintop.
Edit: I do realise the irony of this statement.

Damn I should really pay more attention to the OVA section! Didn't notice that Supernatural thingo there, AND the next Black Lagoon OVA and Hack Quantum (I liked the games okay)

and

and

HEEEeeeeeuuurrrrrrrggggghhhh

A kodomo no jikan OVA. I suddenly wish I hadn't paid more attention to the OVA section.
Last edited by Ryu on Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
METAPOD NOOOOO
Nagato

Post by Nagato »

The Kodomo no Jikan release is an OAD, which I'm pretty sure is a drama CD.
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

Wow, that just makes it even more creepy for some reason!

And now I know what OAD means.
METAPOD NOOOOO
Nagato

Post by Nagato »

I never found Kodomo no Jikan creepy, but I did lose interest in it after the first few volumes.
Kei
Quantum Dominion Singularity
Twitter: mikoto_desu

Post by Kei »

The only reason Kodomo is famous... controversy. The show itself wasn't very good, but the controversy made it a household word.

Same goes for Dance in the Vampire Bund.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

I think KnJ's infamy was well deserved though, I mean the writer must have been cranked up on something fierce to think that it was a good idea. It's also pretty hilarious that it got banned in the US and the EU.

Anyway, back on topic: Wolverine trailer: http://marvel.com/videos/823.wolverine_anime_trailer - Er, are they really going with this? Doesn't really seem all that x-men/marvel-esque.

Also Supernatural trailer

EDIT:Weird, Youtube tags don't seem to be working for me. Just in case anyone else is experiencing this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8rlbcqGd5c.

Maybe it'll be good?
METAPOD NOOOOO
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity
Twitter: Haruhi_SAMA

Post by Taiga »

Is it a bad idea to mention that I actually follow the Kojikan manga? Anime sucks, mind.

Also... I can now watch anime again after a long-winded argument with my mother.
Nagato

Post by Nagato »

I've been thinking about picking it back up, actually.
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

Taiga wrote:Is it a bad idea to mention that I actually follow the Kojikan manga? Anime sucks, mind.

Also... I can now watch anime again after a long-winded argument with my mother.
It depends: is it about a little girl who sexually harasses (Image) her teacher like in the show? If so

Anyway, how about that winter season eh? Looking pret-ty mediocre if I don't say so myself.
METAPOD NOOOOO
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

Yes, Ryu. Yes it is.

The manga, however, plays down the fanservice enough that the story shines through. There's a lot about how each character's life unfolds- the trials they face as their character and puberty.

Sure it's perverse, but it's well done perversion.
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

But then why have the "fan service"? If the story is so great it can work without appealing to "that kind of fan" then why include it? It really just sounds like the author is trying too hard and adding in some controversial material to make it stand out. Or something else.

END DERAIL

The final episode of Katanagatari is also coming out in December so that's one thing this season has going for it!
METAPOD NOOOOO
Nagato

Post by Nagato »

I don't even think I'd call it 'fanservice.' A story about a disturbed child with distorted views of sex and love doesn't really work unless you show said child acting out those issues.
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

Spoiler:
So the intention is to horrify, rather than titillate? If so then is there a central conflict that needs to be resolved? are the consequences of these actions shown? Has the child suffered prior abuse? Or is it simply used as a springboard for "wacky" circumstances and never addresses the issues that are brought forth by pursuing such a provocative storyline?
TOTALLY ENDING THE DERAIL NOW GUYS PM ME IF YOU WANT TO CONTINUE IN PRIVATE YO.

WELP. This thread sure lives up to its title. Is there anything people are actually interested in for reals?
METAPOD NOOOOO
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

Might watch 'Kore wa Zombie desu ka?' and 'GOSICK', but I think the winter season will mainly be my time to catch up with series i never finished or never got around to starting yet.
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

Hourou Musuko trailer is out. No I don't know what they're saying. Don't really know about the art style, there's a certain novelty to the watercolour effect they've got going but the character designs themselves lack distinction in terms of appearance and silhouettes (at one point in the trailer I was confusing the character in the picture with an apparently different one with ponytails). Hopefully the trailer music will actually be featured in the show as is. Might end up watching it.

Actually that does bring up another thing I really like about Kuragehime and Panty and Stocking [although it is an homage to Genndy Tartakovsky's style]; the characters themselves are very, very distinctive in their design.
METAPOD NOOOOO
Nagato

Post by Nagato »

The mangaka laments in one of the volumes that she tends to make all of her characters look the same and always leaves too much white space in the panels. I honestly never had a problem telling characters apart when reading the manga, and the anime has obviously remedied the second problem. The watercolor effects closely resemble the way she does the colored pages, too. I really like the voices; I can match up some of them going by the few lines I recognize. The music is pretty much perfect. I've been trying not to get my expectations inflated, but it looks like AIC is doing a really good job with this so far. The only unknown now is what they're going to cover in the 13 episodes they have out of the 91 chapters currently released. At least I know what I'll be reviewing next season.
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

Then they should have improved on it for the anime! No need for 'em to look like polished bowling balls of slightly different colours duder!

WINTER CHART UPDATE (SORT OF):

Click for a SUPER version.
Last edited by Ryu on Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
METAPOD NOOOOO
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

I think I'll have a look at Tailenders because

Also GAINAX and Subaru? What the Christ?
METAPOD NOOOOO
Nagato

Post by Nagato »

"T-Rex on roller blades" is all I needed to hear about Tailenders to get me to watch it.
In much the same way, "planet inhabited by Lesbians" is going to get Yuri Seijin Naoko-san a download.
SHAFT is doing a magical girl show. After seeing what Shinbo can do with something as bland as eroge adaptations, I can't wait.
Gainax x Subaru is one of the most random corporate pairings I've ever seen. A brief googling reveals it's going to be about astronomy rather than cars, which is even more random.
Apparently Fractale is airing in NoitamiA's other slot, so I'll check that out, too.
I think the art for the Hourou Musuko anime is beautiful and unique, but there's no accounting for taste.

This season is looking better, but still pretty dull.
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

Nagato wrote: SHAFT is doing a magical girl show. After seeing what Shinbo can do with something as bland as eroge adaptations, I can't wait.
What does Shinbo do with something as bland as eroge adaptations? Examples?
Nagato wrote: Gainax x Subaru is one of the most random corporate pairings I've ever seen. A brief googling reveals it's going to be about astronomy rather than cars, which is even more random.
Maybe... it'll be... good?

EDIT: The director did storyboards for strike witches and directed Mahromatic, so I'm going to say no.

Also it strikes me as kind of odd that Supernatural is listed as an OVA despite being twenty two episodes. Anyone care to enlighten me on this particular usage of the nomenclature?
METAPOD NOOOOO
Nagato

Post by Nagato »

Ryu wrote: What does Shinbo do with something as bland as eroge adaptations?
This. The avant garde cinematography and pretty music music make the melodrama quite a spectacle. Whether you enjoy the material or not, what Shinbo did with it as a director is pretty impressive.

I haven't seen strike witches, but the Mahoromatic anime was a pretty good adaptation of the source material.

OVA = Original Video Animation, which basically means it isn't meant to air on TV. The Legend of the Galactic Heroes OVA's ran for 162 episodes, so 22 isn't that bad. Apparently an OAD is just an OVA bundled with their source manga, not a drama CD like originally guessed.
Kei

Post by Kei »

On the other hand, Vampire Bund was a total disaster. Just because it's by Shinbo doesn't mean it'll be good.
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

Ef doesn't really seem like my kind of thing so I'll take your word on it. Sounds pretty depressing though.

Strike witches is pretty terrible though.

Oh, and thanks for clearing that OVA thing up, I just thought that they were like long episodes or whatever v0v
METAPOD NOOOOO
Kei

Post by Kei »

Google is a wonderful thing.

Nagato is a huge fan of depressing shows. He's just waiting for Kyoani to make a show all about kittens being tortured by sad orphan girls in the snow.
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

Elfen Lied? Image

EDIT: why KyoAni? seems more like GAINAX's gig
METAPOD NOOOOO
Nagato

Post by Nagato »

Shinbo tends to be hit and miss, but he makes some great stuff when he hits. It's true that I like depressing stuff, but it's pretty rare that something really good comes along that fits the bill. I think 5cm per Second was the last thing that actually managed to make me cry.

Elfen Lied was average at best. It seemed like I would have liked what it was trying to do, it just never really succeeded at being good at it.
Kei wrote: kittens being tortured by sad orphan girls in the snow.
That sounds more psychotic than depressing, but I'd still watch it.
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

Moe cthulu show is comprised of unbelievably unfunny 5 minute shorts made in flash! News at 11!
METAPOD NOOOOO
Kagami
Datastream Command Interface

Post by Kagami »

I haven't found a thing that really interests me in that line up :(