WINTER SEASON 2010/11: WELP.

Wait, there are people who watch anime other than mine? I guess you can talk about them here then...

Moderator: Datastream Command Interface

Ryu
Cognitive Organic Lifeform

Re: WINTER SEASON 2010/11: WELP.

Post by Ryu »

Fractale 3: You see, it's perfectly reasonable to reject advances in modern technology, deprive people of decent medical care and kill innocent people because the internet is evil and you will never know true freedom unless you abandon it, otherwise you are nothing but a brainwashed slob

ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Ryu on Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
METAPOD NOOOOO
Kei
Quantum Dominion Singularity
Twitter: mikoto_desu

Post by Kei »

I knew those bumbling guys would end up being "the resistance."
Spoiler:
I'm kinda disappointed that Fractale 3 steered the plot towards "religious conspiracy" territory. Does EVERY utopia have to be a conspiracy? Are we really so grounded in modern social values that we must assume ANY alternative is "inhuman'? Fractale is turning into exactly the kind of reactionary show I love to hate. The "internet = brainwashing" comparison in particular made me groan. I can already predict what direction the story is going, and I'm not happy about it. Fractale THINKS it's deep commentary about human interaction, but it's black and white morality makes it little more than a "technology is evil" hellfire sermon. And the last thing science fiction needs is another hellfire sermon.

As a counterpoint to watching Fractale, I suggest reading Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke. This novel examines a dramatic alien-caused social shift that changes humanity forever... and this change is presented as a POSITIVE thing.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Kei

Post by Kei »

Why don't Mami and Homura get along?
1296263716731.png
1296263716731.png (176.63 KiB) Viewed 12932 times
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

Their heads aren't nearly big enough, what a travesty!

Edit: TAILENDERS is supposed to have aired by now dudes, so countdown until someone subs it!
METAPOD NOOOOO
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

Wandering son 3: Ther's not as much annoying melodrama this episode, which is great! Also Chi continues to be one of the more likeable characters, and the rest are certainly starting to open up and show some charm, except for that Chiba kid.

Damn who would hang with that kid after like second year middle school, I gotta know

ZOMBIE!? 3: Yep I'm still finding this to be pretty funny, and I especially enjoyed the two stories that took place during this episode, one including the most ridiculous display of Jenga craftsmanship I have ever seen. Also something that I haven't really seen in a lot of comedy anime and that is using the background as a vehicle for sight gags. And irony. There's a bit of plot in this episode but I doubt it's not a fake-out.

Gosick 4: welp I didn't figure out the second mystery so maybe that's a point in it's favour! The teacher was pretty great this episode too.
METAPOD NOOOOO
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

Is this a magical girl?? 4: Some melodrama and killing off a cool side-character in like five minutes, but they make up for it by
Spoiler:
have the MC's cuteness increase when he powers up and diving from the stratosphere to kick the head off of a gigantic whale that shoots lazer beams and explosive water from its blow-hole.
Level E 4: God. DAMN. This series. Show of the season so far.
Spoiler:
Went from light comedy to horror/tragedy for this episode and it was fantastic! I hope they don't ditch baseball dude and super spy lady, but also interject some of these "twilight zone" or "tales from the crypt" short stories.
METAPOD NOOOOO
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

SUBARU + GAINAX: Uh whose dumb idea was it to make 5 minute "episodes" that directly follow each other (practically to the scene), rather than say twenty minute episodes? Content isn't that amazing either so I don't really see the point! gonna give it one more "episode" but god damn it GAINAX. Also what the hell does this have to do with selling cars?
METAPOD NOOOOO
Nagato

Post by Nagato »

Their magic weapons have car engines in them.
Kagami
Datastream Command Interface

Post by Kagami »

OhgodOhgodOhgodOhgodOhgod how to make a magical weapon more awesome? Shove a boxer engine with a turbo in it somewhere. Best of both worlds. Make it revvable too, like in Devil May Cry (I think). Noise would be great.

*collapses in fanboy faint*
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

Too bad that it's only twenty minutes long and a piece of crap

HOW IS THIS GOING TO SELL SUBARUS
METAPOD NOOOOO
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity
Twitter: Haruhi_SAMA

Post by Taiga »

Kagami wrote:OhgodOhgodOhgodOhgodOhgod how to make a magical weapon more awesome? Shove a boxer engine with a turbo in it somewhere. Best of both worlds. Make it revvable too, like in Devil May Cry (I think). Noise would be great.

You're hopeless! D:
Nagato

Post by Nagato »

Kagami wrote:OhgodOhgodOhgodOhgodOhgod how to make a magical weapon more awesome? Shove a boxer engine with a turbo in it somewhere. Best of both worlds. Make it revvable too, like in Devil May Cry (I think). Noise would be great.

Haruko's two-stroke Rickenbacker was better.
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

Gosick is actually pretty enjoyable when you realise almost everyone is borderline retarded
Nagato wrote: Haruko's two-stroke Rickenbacker was better.
EDIT: Rev it up!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e_w1N2ExBQ#t=4m0s
METAPOD NOOOOO
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

Squarefaced Magical girl 5: There's a really cool fight this episode and uh

uh
METAPOD NOOOOO
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

Dream Eater Merry 5: BELIEVE IN THE ME THAT BELIEVES IN YOU
Spoiler:
Oh and by the way, all those people you thought you were sending back to the dream world? THEY'RE ALL DEAD
This show is absolutely insane (in a bad way) but it just loops back around so hard that I actually kind of like it. Will watch again.
METAPOD NOOOOO
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

Fractale 4: Man I really hope they intended the Millenium somethings' leader to look like a complete psychopath because it's really working! I'm also hoping that neither side ends up being right in this conflict, and that the answer lies somewhere in the middle because holy Jesus the temple might as well be the most reasonable faction in this series but at the same time Snidley Whiplash tying someone down to the train tracks
METAPOD NOOOOO
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

Wandering son 4:This is starting to turn into something of a comedy of errors, especially with Takatsuki and the main gal's melodramatic one-sided pining and reactions to gender specific compliments (Seriously, Takatsuki does a Perfect Blue to an offhand comment.) Perhaps this is a parallel between the show and the Romeo and Juliet play that Nitorin and Saori are writing, but somehow I doubt I was supposed to be laughing when I was. That said, It was a pretty enjoyable episode, and now it has me hoping that Chi lands the role opposite Nitorin if only for the monumental fallout that would occur.

Also, I'm pretty sure Romeo and Juliet ends with a double suicide, so uh what was all that about living happily ever after aboot? Unless...

METAPOD NOOOOO
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

Gosick 5:
Ryu wrote:almost everyone is borderline retarded
I'm not even kidding. God damn. Also there was a really classy set of shots that went something like

"Golden-"
*Close-up of illustration's boobs*
"fairy??"

That happened maybe like two three times
METAPOD NOOOOO
Nagato

Post by Nagato »

At this point I'm convinced that Victorique has a copy of the script somewhere.
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

she's probably the only one who's actually read it!

Also, I've learned that light novel series wasn't written in chronological order, but for some reason the director thought it a good idea to, instead of animate in the correct order, present the stories' in the order they were written and that this was supposedly the first case for Kujo and Victorique (hence retarded questioning of V's existance) which in turn is also really stupid. They seriously couldn't have done a rewrite? Come on bones!
Spoiler:
(Also the stuff on the boat was altered, in the novels apparently saving V from the trap and the brass knuckles didn't happen. The "you're a girl" spiel did, but V just laughed at him and said that she was too short to get hit by a trap, whereas he would get hit in the forehead. Apparently there is a more Watson/Sherlock Holmes dynamic where they constantly bicker rather than poorman's slapstick)
METAPOD NOOOOO
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

.Hack QUANTUM ep 1: To be honest this is everything I thought the first series would be. And the games that followed... Still, really solid production values (albeit with some REALLY FAMILIAR character designs) and a story that has me interested.
METAPOD NOOOOO
Shamisen

Post by Shamisen »

Nagato wrote:At this point I'm convinced that Victorique has a copy of the script somewhere.

Ya think?? I'm with you it's in her hiding spot... with the flash-lite in the library...

Enjoy the magic of every sunrise.
Wonder at the sight of snow.
Appreciate the joy of living in the now.
Upon tomorrow live a new life for a new day.
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

Ryu wrote:she's probably the only one who's actually read it!

Also, I've learned that light novel series wasn't written in chronological order, but for some reason the director thought it a good idea to, instead of animate in the correct order, present the stories' in the order they were written and that this was supposedly the first case for Kujo and Victorique (hence retarded questioning of V's existance) which in turn is also really stupid. They seriously couldn't have done a rewrite? Come on bones!
Spoiler:
(Also the stuff on the boat was altered, in the novels apparently saving V from the trap and the brass knuckles didn't happen. The "you're a girl" spiel did, but V just laughed at him and said that she was too short to get hit by a trap, whereas he would get hit in the forehead. Apparently there is a more Watson/Sherlock Holmes dynamic where they constantly bicker rather than poorman's slapstick)
I think I might have to read the novels instead of bother with the rest of the anime. Seems like a better use of my time.
Kei

Post by Kei »

YES

Nagato

Post by Nagato »

Pretty Cure is quite... pretty.
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

ZOMBIE!?: This one was pretty weak, as it was lacking in the over-the-top humour of the first four episodes, although the villain, her bizarrely over-animated boobies and her gimmick were alright
Spoiler:
Vampire ninja zombie magical girl

EDIT: I'm getting blank space where that video should be, Kei, could you post the link?
METAPOD NOOOOO
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

Yumekui merry 6: Stuff gets explained and Chaser John Doe is a total bro

Madoka Magica 6: Less angst this time around, and a shocking revelation!
METAPOD NOOOOO
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

Madoka 6: HOLY HELL... it's actually creepy when you KNOW.
Spoiler:
Also... couldn't this mean they just ditched Mami in a witch's world? She could be revived!
tcmanila
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform
Twitter: tcmanila

Post by tcmanila »

Ryu wrote:Dream Eater Merry 5: BELIEVE IN THE ME THAT BELIEVES IN YOU
Spoiler:
Oh and by the way, all those people you thought you were sending back to the dream world? THEY'RE ALL DEAD
This show is absolutely insane (in a bad way) but it just loops back around so hard that I actually kind of like it. Will watch again.
So, we got a title for an episode that almost sounded like a loop. Almost bad.
tcmanila
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform
Twitter: tcmanila

Post by tcmanila »

Kei wrote:Why don't Mami and Homura get along?
I try not to pull out anything from this forum but this 4-koma tempts me to do so.