Ah! My Goddess (AA! Megami-Sama!)

At Yuki's request, we're adding an area where you can talk about manga. Here you go!

Moderator: Datastream Command Interface

Dragon
Datastream Command Interface

Ah! My Goddess (AA! Megami-Sama!)

Post by Dragon »

Ah! My Goddess! (AA! Megami-sama) is a comedic romance-harem manga that is very light in nature and execution. Keiichi Morisato is a Nekomi Tech University student who while trying to order take out one night accidentally makes a phone call to The Goddess Help Line and in doing so changes his life for the better forever.... (well maybe just for only his lifespan). When the Goddess Belldandy comes through Keiichi's mirror offering to fulfill 1 wish for him, Keiichi believes he is being fooled by his Sempai's, so he makes an outlandish wish that binds the Goddess to him forever! From then on Keiichi finds his life anything but boring. Ah! My Goddess is a still ongoing manga by Kosuke Fujishima, Ah! My Goddess will warm your heart and tickle your funny bone (while also making you want to kick Keiichi in the butt once in a while), and leave you wanting more..
This 34 + volume manga has also been ported over into 6 OVA's, 1 Movie, and 1 TV series spanning 2 seasons, with the second season just being recently licensed by ADV films and due for release here in a couple of months. Having read all the available released translations by Dark Horse as well as some scanlations I've found, this manga is a fun comedy that is enjoyable to read. Although some of the stories seem to be rehashes of previous story arches, they tend to have a different spin or twist to them that still gets your attention and desire to continue to read it. I must admit though that there is an inkling that this could turn into another Inuyasha where the story just continues on and on and there is no further progression with the main character's relationship. I hope that doesn't happen to this great title, but only time will tell.
Nagato
Cognitive Organic Lifeform

Re: Ah! My Goddess (AA! Megami-Sama!)

Post by Nagato »

Dragon wrote:Although some of the stories seem to be rehashes of previous story arches, they tend to have a different spin or twist to them that still gets your attention and desire to continue to read it.
Seconded. Provided you're looking for something that is just enjoyable to take as it comes, you could certainly do worse.
I must admit though that there is an inkling that this could turn into another Inuyasha where the story just continues on and on and there is no further progression with the main character's relationship. I hope that doesn't happen to this great title, but only time will tell.
Considering the two main characters have been living together for twenty years and have barely even held hands, I have to agree. Of course, I don't really mind that, as most of my entertainment comes from things like Welsper, The Gate, and Peorth. Your mileage may vary.

Is Dark Horse still releasing the manga? I think the latest I've seen from them is around volume 28 or so.
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

Nagato wrote:
Dragon wrote:Although some of the stories seem to be rehashes of previous story arches, they tend to have a different spin or twist to them that still gets your attention and desire to continue to read it.
Seconded. Provided you're looking for something that is just enjoyable to take as it comes, you could certainly do worse.
I think that is one of the main reasons I like this manga so much. Its a nice read and 'pick me up' if you've been reading/watching a lot of sad/tragic anime. I stumbled across it after a marathon run of Chrono Crusade, and have been hooked on it ever since.
Nagato wrote:
Dragon wrote: I must admit though that there is an inkling that this could turn into another Inuyasha where the story just continues on and on and there is no further progression with the main character's relationship. I hope that doesn't happen to this great title, but only time will tell.
Considering the two main characters have been living together for twenty years and have barely even held hands, I have to agree. Of course, I don't really mind that, as most of my entertainment comes from things like Welsper, The Gate, and Peorth. Your mileage may vary.
Yes and that is a topic that could be discussed round and round.. The series has been around for almost 20 years now (There are rumors of some 20th anniversary project, but its only rumors), but story wise Bell and K1 have only been together for about 3-5 years. There was a timeline I had seen once that tries (note I said tries) to coincide the manga, and the anime renditions into a viable time line for the story arches. Fujishima initially did a very good job of keeping track of how much time passed with Bell and K1, but over the years he sorta lost track and upon discovery that K1 should have been graduating from Nekomi Tech U, he made some minor story turns that basically slowed things down a bit. All in all the Manga (much like all manga) holds far more story arches than the anime does, but the anime tries (and does a good job of) adding a bit more to the arches than what is relayed in the manga. Still you will find more characters in the manga (The Gate for instance) than you will in the anime as well as get a better understanding of some others who are only briefly seen in the anime (Lind). As for the 'affections' that Bell and K1 show towards each other go readers of the manga may be a bit surprised that early on Bell and K1 are more affectionate towards each other than they are later on in the story. In fact Bell and K1 share a rather passionate kiss (both are actually conscious!) in an early volume (Vol 2 I believe) of the manga that occurs before Urd or any of the 'other Goddesses' appear. You won't find that in the anime.
Nagato wrote:Is Dark Horse still releasing the manga? I think the latest I've seen from them is around volume 28 or so.
Yes Dark Horse is still releasing the translation of the manga albeit slowly. You may find that their 'release dates' tend to be off as there have been a number of delays and changed release dates. But they are still releasing them. Since the first 20 volumes were originally 'flipped' to 'American style' book format, Dark Horse has gone back and started re-releasing the first 20 volumes again in the normal manga style (flipped them back to their original Japanese format). You can find Volumes 1 through 4 right now of the 'fixed' versions. Dark Horse also continued releasing the mangas in the correct format starting with Volume 21. You can find Volumes 21-25 available now (26 is coming soon). If you hunt you can still find the older 'flipped' translated versions from Dark Horse, but be forewarned. Those volumes are over sized and there some comic book renditions out there that can throw you off if your collecting the mangas. The older DH mangas sometimes lack titles, chapter titles, etc so it can be confusing as to which order to read them.. But all that is being fixed in the re-releases & new versions.
Nagato

Post by Nagato »

Dragon wrote:
Nagato wrote:
Dragon wrote: I must admit though that there is an inkling that this could turn into another Inuyasha where the story just continues on and on and there is no further progression with the main character's relationship. I hope that doesn't happen to this great title, but only time will tell.
Yes and that is a topic that could be discussed round and round.. The series has been around for almost 20 years now (There are rumors of some 20th anniversary project, but its only rumors), but story wise Bell and K1 have only been together for about 3-5 years.
20th anniversary... if there's no ring involved, heads may roll.

Abwah? How does K1 find time to go to school anymore with all kinds of supernatural whatnot knocking at his door every few minutes? :P
There was a timeline I had seen once that tries (note I said tries) to coincide the manga, and the anime renditions into a viable time line for the story arches. Fujishima initially did a very good job of keeping track of how much time passed with Bell and K1, but over the years he sorta lost track and upon discovery that K1 should have been graduating from Nekomi Tech U, he made some minor story turns that basically slowed things down a bit.
I remember that. "Oh noes, I'm one foreign language credit short of graduating. I have to go for another semester now!" I think I heard a 'thump' when the mangaka jumped on board there.
All in all the Manga (much like all manga) holds far more story arches than the anime does, but the anime tries (and does a good job of) adding a bit more to the arches than what is relayed in the manga. Still you will find more characters in the manga (The Gate for instance) than you will in the anime as well as get a better understanding of some others who are only briefly seen in the anime (Lind).
Not so much that the anime glosses over the side characters, but that the arches in which they get the most development are still way beyond the anime's scope. I'm not sure what the second season covers, as it got licensed very early and everyone dropped it quick, but I do remember being quite pleased that Peorth finally showed up. She's all kinds of fun. Lind's arch comes quite a bit after Peorth shows up, but I guess they may have stuck it in there. If so, my interest in the anime has been renewed, as the Tenshikui arch is still one of my favorites.
As for the 'affections' that Bell and K1 show towards each other go readers of the manga may be a bit surprised that early on Bell and K1 are more affectionate towards each other than they are later on in the story. In fact Bell and K1 share a rather passionate kiss (both are actually conscious!) in an early volume (Vol 2 I believe) of the manga that occurs before Urd or any of the 'other Goddesses' appear. You won't find that in the anime.
... Crap. You realize that since I have no idea what you're talking about, I now have to go and reread this part. As if I'm not buried in stuff to do already.
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

Nagato wrote:
Dragon wrote:
Nagato wrote: Considering the two main characters have been living together for twenty years and have barely even held hands, I have to agree. Of course, I don't really mind that, as most of my entertainment comes from things like Welsper, The Gate, and Peorth. Your mileage may vary.
Yes and that is a topic that could be discussed round and round.. The series has been around for almost 20 years now (There are rumors of some 20th anniversary project, but its only rumors), but story wise Bell and K1 have only been together for about 3-5 years.
20th anniversary... if there's no ring involved, heads may roll.

Abwah? How does K1 find time to go to school anymore with all kinds of supernatural whatnot knocking at his door every few minutes? :P
Well that seems to be solved by entropy. :shock: Sorry, bad joke. Well it seems K1 miraculously splits his time now-a-days working for Chihiro at WhirlWind, and a class or two at the University. I don't remember if working for Chihiro counts as University credits (it may since she used to be the Motor Club's President with some major Pull), either way K1 spends more time at work these days, but since he works with Bell things could be worse I suppose.

Now as for the ring... well.. K1 has already given Bell a ring.. but it was more of a friendship or promise ring... We can only hope that he does actually pop the question someday and all those 'official' pics of him and Bell in wedding attire come to truth. I for one hope they do a 'special' for their 20 anniversary and then continue the series with a 3rd season... (keeps fingers crossed that the Eva Movies gets done soon so they can go back to AMG.)
Nagato wrote:
Dragon wrote: There was a timeline I had seen once that tries (note I said tries) to coincide the manga, and the anime renditions into a viable time line for the story arches. Fujishima initially did a very good job of keeping track of how much time passed with Bell and K1, but over the years he sorta lost track and upon discovery that K1 should have been graduating from Nekomi Tech U, he made some minor story turns that basically slowed things down a bit.
I remember that. "Oh noes, I'm one foreign language credit short of graduating. I have to go for another semester now!" I think I heard a 'thump' when the mangaka jumped on board there.
Yup that was a 'Ooops! I better find a way to fix this mess!' slip up. But in doing that he also basically made Sayoko graduate (no more campus queen!), and subsequently we've haven't seen much of her in the series since.. What a shame.. .she makes a great rival for Bell.
Nagato wrote:
Dragon wrote: All in all the Manga (much like all manga) holds far more story arches than the anime does, but the anime tries (and does a good job of) adding a bit more to the arches than what is relayed in the manga. Still you will find more characters in the manga (The Gate for instance) than you will in the anime as well as get a better understanding of some others who are only briefly seen in the anime (Lind).
Not so much that the anime glosses over the side characters, but that the arches in which they get the most development are still way beyond the anime's scope. I'm not sure what the second season covers, as it got licensed very early and everyone dropped it quick, but I do remember being quite pleased that Peorth finally showed up. She's all kinds of fun. Lind's arch comes quite a bit after Peorth shows up, but I guess they may have stuck it in there. If so, my interest in the anime has been renewed, as the Tenshikui arch is still one of my favorites.
Actually if you hunt around you can still find AonE-Any's fansubs of Season 2 (They just released Season 2's Bonus episode 24 (The final S2 Episode) two days ago via bittorrent). Season 2 did a much better attempt to bring the anime back towards the manga arches. Season 1 mixed/matched and rehashed many of the arches where Season 2 tried to live closer to it. There are still missing characters and some characters who were not in an arch suddenly have roles (Example: S2 Episode 23 has Skuld in it and it shouldn't). Lind makes her appearance at the end of Season 1 and again at the beginning of Season 2, but in the manga her personality is revealed more than it is in the anime. What a shame. Also despite seeing Keima and Takano (K1's parents) in the ending credits for S2, you don't get to really 'see them' other than a Keima cameo (he's the one riding the motorcycle with little Megumi on the back in S2 Episode 22). We can only hope that they come back from the Eva Movies project and decide to do a AMG Season 3 and include the missing characters and story Arches.
Nagato wrote:
Dragon wrote: As for the 'affections' that Bell and K1 show towards each other go readers of the manga may be a bit surprised that early on Bell and K1 are more affectionate towards each other than they are later on in the story. In fact Bell and K1 share a rather passionate kiss (both are actually conscious!) in an early volume (Vol 2 I believe) of the manga that occurs before Urd or any of the 'other Goddesses' appear. You won't find that in the anime.
... Crap. You realize that since I have no idea what you're talking about, I now have to go and reread this part. As if I'm not buried in stuff to do already.
:lol: I get a fair amount of people with that little 'tidbit'. I actually know the chapter it happens in... I suppose I could tell you.... or I could give you a hint.. since the Dark Horse re-releases of the 'flipped' volumes... that page has ben colorized..... :D
Last edited by Dragon on Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nagato

Post by Nagato »

Dragon wrote: Well that seems to be solved by entropy. :shock: Sorry, bad joke. Well it seems K1 miraculously splits his time now-a-days working for Chihiro at WhirlWind, and a class or two at the University. I don't remember if working for Chihiro counts as University credits (it may since she used to be the Motor Club's President with some major Pull), either way K1 spends more time at work these days, but since he works with Bell things could be worse I suppose.
... That joke went so far over my head...
I only finished eighth-grade math, you know :P

Hmm... I guess he would have a lot of free time. He only goes to class one day a week. He also pays no rent at the shrine, so he only pays for his motorcycle expenses, food, and utilities, so he probably doesn't have to make much to get by. He probably has a ton of free time. Well, time that would be free, if he weren't constantly caught in the middle of the divine drama all day long.
Now as for the ring... well.. K1 has already given Bell a ring.. but it was more of a friendship or promise ring... We can only hope that he does actually pop the question someday and all those 'official' pics of him and Bell in wedding attire come to truth. I for one hope they do a 'special' for their 20 anniversary and then continue the series with a 3rd season... (keeps fingers crossed that the Eva Movies gets done soon so they can go back to AMG.)
Oh, right. I forgot about that ring.

What does AMG have to do with the Eva movies? Gainax doesn't do the AMG anime...
Dragon wrote: Yup that was a 'Ooops! I better find a way to fix this mess!' slip up. But in doing that he also basically made Sayoko graduate (no more campus queen!), and subsequently we've haven't seen much of her in the series since.. What a shame.. .she makes a great rival for Bell.
Sayoko used to really get on my nerves, as she came up with the most convoluted stuff to accomplish the most ridiculous things. Most of that was forgiven during the Nekomi Castle arch when Marler said something to the effect of: "How can someone wish for something so stupid with so much sincerity?" As long as the author acknowledges this, I can live with it :P
Dragon wrote: Actually if you hunt around you can still find AonE-Any's fansubs of Season 2 (They just released Season 2's Bonus episode 24 (The final S2 Episode) two days ago via bittorrent). Season 2 did a much better attempt to bring the anime back towards the manga arches. Season 1 mixed/matched and rehashed many of the arches where Season 2 tried to live closer to it. There are still missing characters and some characters who were not in an arch suddenly have roles (Example: S2 Episode 23 has Skuld in it and it shouldn't). Lind makes her appearance at the end of Season 1 and again at the beginning of Season 2, but in the manga her personality is revealed more than it is in the anime. What a shame. Also despite seeing Keima and Takano (K1's parents) in the ending credits for S2, you don't get to really 'see them' other than a Keima cameo (he's the one riding the motorcycle with little Megumi on the back in S2 Episode 22). We can only hope that they come back from the Eva Movies project and decide to do a AMG Season 3 and include the missing characters and story Arches.
... Great, now I have another series on my list. A bunch of great stuff coming out this season, several series to catch up on, and now I find this out. I now blame you for all my shortage of time.

Lind is good. A shame that she's underdeveloped in the anime, though. Keima and Takano would be a huge plus, since Keima especially is four different kinds of hilarious.
Dragon wrote: :lol: I get a fair amount of people with that little 'tidbit'. I actually know the chapter it happens in... I suppose I could tell you.... or I could give you a hint.. since the Dark Horse re-releases of the 'flipped' volumes... that page has ben colorized..... :D
To someone who has the manga only in a bunch of scanlations, that's about the most useless bit of information you could give me :x
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

Nagato wrote:
Dragon wrote: Well that seems to be solved by entropy. :shock: Sorry, bad joke. Well it seems K1 miraculously splits his time now-a-days working for Chihiro at WhirlWind, and a class or two at the University. I don't remember if working for Chihiro counts as University credits (it may since she used to be the Motor Club's President with some major Pull), either way K1 spends more time at work these days, but since he works with Bell things could be worse I suppose.
... That joke went so far over my head...
I only finished eighth-grade math, you know :P

Hmm... I guess he would have a lot of free time. He only goes to class one day a week. He also pays no rent at the shrine, so he only pays for his motorcycle expenses, food, and utilities, so he probably doesn't have to make much to get by. He probably has a ton of free time. Well, time that would be free, if he weren't constantly caught in the middle of the divine drama all day long.
:arrow: Yeh it seems that the star of misfortune will continue to shine down upon K1 and only the love of a Goddess with twart its influences.... albeit with some hilarity...
Nagato wrote:
Dragon wrote: Now as for the ring... well.. K1 has already given Bell a ring.. but it was more of a friendship or promise ring... We can only hope that he does actually pop the question someday and all those 'official' pics of him and Bell in wedding attire come to truth. I for one hope they do a 'special' for their 20 anniversary and then continue the series with a 3rd season... (keeps fingers crossed that the Eva Movies gets done soon so they can go back to AMG.)
Oh, right. I forgot about that ring.

What does AMG have to do with the Eva movies? Gainax doesn't do the AMG anime...
:arrow: There must be a deeper meaning with that ring though as it has appear in the OVA's, the Manga, and in the TV series... I don't remember if it was in the AMG Movie... also... If I'm not mistaken there are people from the AMG team working on the Eva Project and some others are 'taking a break'. I no longer have the link to the list of names of who was doing what... sorry.
Nagato wrote:
Dragon wrote: Yup that was a 'Ooops! I better find a way to fix this mess!' slip up. But in doing that he also basically made Sayoko graduate (no more campus queen!), and subsequently we've haven't seen much of her in the series since.. What a shame.. .she makes a great rival for Bell.
Sayoko used to really get on my nerves, as she came up with the most convoluted stuff to accomplish the most ridiculous things. Most of that was forgiven during the Nekomi Castle arch when Marler said something to the effect of: "How can someone wish for something so stupid with so much sincerity?" As long as the author acknowledges this, I can live with it :P
:arrow: One of my most favorite Queen Sayoko moments was when she ordered Belldandy to return to where she belonged... leaving K1 in despair as Bell disapeared.... I wish they had animated that!!!
Nagato wrote:
Dragon wrote: Actually if you hunt around you can still find AonE-Any's fansubs of Season 2 (They just released Season 2's Bonus episode 24 (The final S2 Episode) two days ago via bittorrent). Season 2 did a much better attempt to bring the anime back towards the manga arches. Season 1 mixed/matched and rehashed many of the arches where Season 2 tried to live closer to it. There are still missing characters and some characters who were not in an arch suddenly have roles (Example: S2 Episode 23 has Skuld in it and it shouldn't). Lind makes her appearance at the end of Season 1 and again at the beginning of Season 2, but in the manga her personality is revealed more than it is in the anime. What a shame. Also despite seeing Keima and Takano (K1's parents) in the ending credits for S2, you don't get to really 'see them' other than a Keima cameo (he's the one riding the motorcycle with little Megumi on the back in S2 Episode 22). We can only hope that they come back from the Eva Movies project and decide to do a AMG Season 3 and include the missing characters and story Arches.
... Great, now I have another series on my list. A bunch of great stuff coming out this season, several series to catch up on, and now I find this out. I now blame you for all my shortage of time.

Lind is good. A shame that she's underdeveloped in the anime, though. Keima and Takano would be a huge plus, since Keima especially is four different kinds of hilarious.
:arrow: Guilty as charged! :) Keima is a awesomely intriguing character and Takano compliments him perfectly... They lend a lot of insight as to K1 and Megumi's personalities and what kind of family life they had growing up. When K1 asked Bell to go to his home town to see the snow in S2 Episode 22 I really thought that one, if not both of the 'bonus' episodes (23 & 24) would cover that visit and show the interaction of K1 & crew with his parents. You know showing Takano's ability to cream the other Goddesses at board games just as dominantly as Bell does, and the Race K1 and Keima have.... But *sigh* that didn't happen.. still the bonus eps were good choices...
Nagato wrote:
Dragon wrote: :lol: I get a fair amount of people with that little 'tidbit'. I actually know the chapter it happens in... I suppose I could tell you.... or I could give you a hint.. since the Dark Horse re-releases of the 'flipped' volumes... that page has ben colorized..... :D
To someone who has the manga only in a bunch of scanlations, that's about the most useless bit of information you could give me :x

:arrow: ok.. ok.. I won't torture you...:roll: Its in Chapter 11... final page with all the 'Roses' ... Bell *does* loose consciousness after the kiss though.... You should get the mangas though if you can... :)
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

Ok Nagato, .. Its Hidenori Matsubara whom is responsible for the animation on AMG, that is working on the Eva Movies (and rumored to also be working on 'Red Garden'). As far as a 3rd season or a 20th anniversary project goes it is unknown if they (The AMG team and TBS) will substitute someone else, wait it out, or just call it all done.
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

Minor Aa! Megami-Sama (Ah! My Goddess) manga/anime update.
:arrow: Well it looks like Vol 36 (Japanese) of AMG will be released soon. I noticed a listing for it over at Sasuga books today. While Dark Horse has Vol 27 and 6 out here. I think DKH is keeping their releases slow in order to avoid catching up too quickly to the Japanese releases of the manga.
:arrow: On the anime side of the series, the 20th anniversary episodes were shown in early Dec. and have subsequently been subbed. The story arch for the 2 episode specials were the 'Angel Eater' arch which involved Lind! AWESOME!! Its been a while since I read the Angel Eater arch in the manga, but from what I remember they did a fairly close to manga job in the specials. I'm going to have to re-read that arch again as it was one of my more favorite arches. I was quite pleased that they kept Lind's final question to K1 from the manga in the end of the final special. My hopes for a 3rd season are still quite high as they did leave one thing open with Belldandy specifically at the end the special that was covered/resolved in the manga in the very next arch. Its pretty obvious as to what it is if you pay attention.
Nagato

Post by Nagato »

Dragon wrote:My hopes for a 3rd season are still quite high as they did leave one thing open with Belldandy specifically at the end the special that was covered/resolved in the manga in the very next arch. Its pretty obvious as to what it is if you pay attention.
And since the mechanism that this was resolved by has not yet been introduced, it's probably safe to guess what will be covered in the third season, which is another of my favorites.

But I really can't wait for the Gate arc :lol:
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

That is also one of the reasons I pray for a 3rd season of AMG. The Gate Arch, K1's parents, Hild and Belldandy's broom race, the recent Megumi arch, and even the just starting Chrono arch looks like another fun one. Would love to see all of those eventually animated.
:arrow: Quick note. I just received the new Oh! My Goddess-First End- novel about 15 minutes ago. (Thank you UPS!). I was shocked when I opened the package and saw the novel for the first time. Its one thick book!! I placed it next to my Gunslinger Girl manga volumes 5 & 6 and the novel was just shy of being as thick as both of those mangas together. WOW! Now please note that with just a quick flip of the pages the text within the novel is fairly large, so that may account for part of the thickness of the book. It is also about the size of a regular Dark Horse AMG manga (the currently release versions). I look forward to reading this one! I may have to put The Deed of Paksenarrion on hold for a bit! :D

:arrow: Note. The title of the novel is 'Oh!' and not 'Ah!'. Well since the manga is technically 'Oh!' as well it only makes sense to keep all the printed forms of the series consistent in the naming.
lazysunside
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by lazysunside »

I heard that this one was good. anyone recommend it?
The Fight Had Just Begun
Nagato

Post by Nagato »

Dragon and I recommend it (obviously).
lazysunside
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by lazysunside »

is that the story of a guy who wish that will u be my girlfriend to a goddess right?
The Fight Had Just Begun
Nagato

Post by Nagato »

He wishes that she'll stay with him forever. He thinks his friends are playing a trick on him and wants to screw with them. It backfires in the absolute best way possible.
lazysunside
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by lazysunside »

Try out after spring break
The Fight Had Just Begun