Discuss any entertainment n-not related to Haruhi, anime or manga here... and please d-don't dress me up in the bunny suit again!

Moderator: Datastream Command Interface

Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity
Twitter: Haruhi_SAMA

Post by Taiga »

I saw it. In 3D.

Suddenly being human is REALLY boring.

Accepting that seeing it in 3D (my first experience with it) means it's not quite like other films i've seen, this movie sucked me in more than ever before.

If you can do, and know/think you can handle the 3Dness (I know at least one person who filnds it too freaky, which is a shame) then seeing it in standard 2D would be a real waste. There is so much to be said for it and... well... I can't imagine seeing it in 2D and being quite so engaged with the action. It really paled any other movie i've seen.

The Na'vi and other beings looked incredible and lifelike, the battle scenes were immense and the story was the best I've known from a film in some time. Really the only contender I've seen in recent years is star Trek. Now I wish i had seen THAT in 3D.

I don't think anyone could say it isn't 'their cup of tea.'

If you haven't done yet GO SEE IT!
Kei
Quantum Dominion Singularity
Twitter: mikoto_desu

Re: Avatar

Post by Kei »

The 3D just made the whole film look blurry and out-of-focus for me. I'm planning on seeing it again in 2D so I can really appreciate it.

Also, Star Trek wasn't released in 3D.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

Mmm... it wasn't out of focus for me, it really made the environment more awesome and made me want to be there even more then 2D would have.
Kei

Post by Kei »

I've been told my astigmatism might be to blame. In any case, I still view 3D as a gimmick... it's kinda cool at first, but it rapidly loses its appeal. I don't see regular 2D filmmaking being supplanted anytime in the near future.
Kagami
Datastream Command Interface

Post by Kagami »

So the question remains: do I see it in IMAX or not bother and just go big screen 2D instead?
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

The 3D version I saw wasn't at an IMAX cinema. Was just a general cinema in Lancaster.

The reason I loved 3D so much was for the environment and the 3D's effect on depth. It really felt like if I tried I could get up and wander into the film.

There were times when it seemed like 2D would have worked better, but only very small parts such as for photos and closeups on the protagonist's head, but those were few and far between, completely overturned by the incredible scenery on Pandora and the action parts.

I suggest seeing it in 3D then... if it doesn't work for you (only know Ryoko and one other who didn't get much from 3D films)... seeing it again in 2D, or when it comes out on DVD.

Must consider that to view films at home in the same 3D you need a PC with a nVidia GeForce 8800 or better and a screen with a pretty high refresh rate (I checked this out after seeing it)... then you also need the glasses (which are AWESOME looking <3)
Kei

Post by Kei »

Actually, 3D films aren't available for home viewing yet. The polarized 3D technique used in Avatar requires a very high-grade digital projector with a circularly polarizing liquid crystal. Home video technology just isn't up to snuff. It's remotely possible the film might be released in anaglyph 3D (i.e. the red and blue glasses), but I doubt that will happen.
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

Actually, if you check the nVidia site they list a few films that can be viewed in stereoscopic 3D. Pirates Of The Caribbean was amongst them, but I'm not sure it would be quite as awesome as Avatar.

The requirements are a TV or montor with a very high refresh rate (120hz or similar) and a DVD player/XBOX (with HDMI set up) or a PC with a geforce 8800 or better.

I checked this all out as soon as I got home yesterday.

A list of the ones available, some on DVD/Blu-Ray is >>HERE<< if you need extra convincing. Though, given, they aren't the same system as they used for Avatar.

I'm highly optimistic that Avatar would be released with support for polarised stereoscopic glasses.
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

Ryoko wrote:I've been told my astigmatism might be to blame.
On an entirely different note, you make a terrible Organic Interface, Ryoko.
Kei

Post by Kei »

Pandemonium wrote:I'm highly optimistic that Avatar would be released with support for polarised stereoscopic glasses.
That link you provided was a list of 3D films that have been released in theaters. If you click on the 3D DVD list, you'll notice that every release listed is either anaglyph, pulfrich or a similar variant. There have been no polarized 3D releases, and there won't be any without drastic improvements in home video technology. For more information, read this.
Pandemonium wrote:On an entirely different note, you make a terrible Organic Interface, Ryoko.
You're just jealous that I have a cool-sounding disease. :P
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/GeForce_ ... in_uk.html

Tired of living in a 2D world? GeForce with CUDA™ delivers Graphics Plus™ – 3D Stereo

Upgrade your PC to a fully immersive stereoscopic 3D experience with NVIDIA® 3D Vision™. A combination of high-tech wireless glasses and advanced software, 3D Vision automatically transforms hundreds of PC games into full stereoscopic 3D. Just slip on the stylish glasses and pair them with an NVIDIA® GeForce® GPU and a "NVIDIA 3D Vision-Ready" display to experience characters and environments come to life on the screen. In addition, you can watch 3D movies and 3D digital photographs in eye popping, crystal-clear quality. Give your eyes something to talk about with NVIDIA 3D Vision.

Stereoscopic 3D technology refers to images or content viewed in a way that lets you perceive depth the same way you do in everyday life. Only GeForce GPUs power hundreds of games in Stereoscopic 3D right out of the box.
Meow. Your link is from November last year. A year can be a lot in terms of this stuff.

Also, my friend tells me Avatar the game (he has it for XBOX 360) has the option to turn on stereoscopic 3D.
Kei

Post by Kei »

Nvidia's system is stereoscopic 3D, not polarized 3D. Polarized 3D (which is how you saw Avatar) is the system that requires fancy liquid crystals and high-grade digital projectors. For stereoscopic 3D, you need a $200 pair of wireless electronic glasses with LCD shutters in them. A detailed explanation of the technology can be found here.

It IS possible to watch polarized 3D films at home if you buy a 3D-ready HDTV and a Playstation 3. Sony will be releasing codecs next year which will allow the PS3 to play 3D blu-rays, but you'll need a 3D TV with a liquid crystal layer for it to work.

Next time, do more research. Meow. :cat_w:
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

It would appear that you're mostly right.

But that link does state that 'Polarised' as you put it IS Steroscopic (which is pretty obvious, since all that means is you watch two images being shown at once.) It's just the glasses necessary that change due to the nature of the display. The way each is overlapped onscreen is more or less the same.

So I was right, if misinformed on the details.
Kagami

Post by Kagami »

Children, please stop it.

:3

Anyhoo I have booked tickets to see Avatar in the IMAX. Will take a painkiller before hand to temper the chances of getting a headache, just in case.
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

Wouldn't that be likely to just GIVE you a headache?
Kei

Post by Kei »

The devil is in the details.
Kagami

Post by Kagami »

Taking a painkiller before hand should put me in negative pain, or pain debt...therefore the headache will bloom and fill that debt. All shall be well.
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

I'm not entirely sure it works that way, Chris.
Kei

Post by Kei »

Jasper's right. It doesn't work that way at all.
Kagami

Post by Kagami »

hehehe...

Well I have seen Avatar. Very very good it was, and the 3D experience was worth every cent.