Cloverfield

Discuss any entertainment n-not related to Haruhi, anime or manga here... and please d-don't dress me up in the bunny suit again!

Moderator: Datastream Command Interface

Kei
Quantum Dominion Singularity
Twitter: mikoto_desu

Cloverfield

Post by Kei »

Although Transformers has generated much hype recently, that hype has almost been equaled by a mysterious trailer that was shown before the movie. For those of you who haven't seen it, here it is:

1-18-08

After seeing this trailer, I went and researched this movie online. Here's what I found out.

SPOILERS BELOW!!!

The movies working title is Cloverfield, or possibly Slusho. Officially, it is referred to as 1-18-08 (its release date) or "Untitled J.J. Abrams Project".

It is being directed by J.J. Abrams.

It involves an alien monster of some kind. (Some rumors refer to it as "the parasite")

The movie will likely be filmed entirely with a handheld camera. It has a reported budget of $30 million.

There is an immense amount of secrecy surrounding the movie.

Abrams seems to be keeping the lid on this project, whatever it may be. Still, the trailer was brilliantly done, and has definitely piqued my curiosity about whatever this movie may be. So what do you all think?
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
otakugospel
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by otakugospel »

I can't say I know anymore about then you do,but this trailer reminds me of the original Ring marketing in how it's presentation. It's similarly clever,so I find myself intrigued..
The border between this world and the wired isn't all that clear..
Kei

Post by Kei »

This poster has surfaced (Note: Watch the trailer first)

Linky!

No word yet if it's legit, but it's an interesting piece of artwork nonetheless.
Nagato
Cognitive Organic Lifeform

Post by Nagato »

I think Godzilla is running off with his tail between his legs :shock:

What has me most intrigued is the tentative title: Cloverfield. What could such a serene title have to do with a semi-apocalyptic giant monster movie? And what about the word "parasite" on the bottom?
Yes, this could get fun :D

I hope this doesn't turn out like Snakes on a Plane, where tthe marketing is more interesting than the movie itself...
Kei

Post by Kei »

More info about Cloverfield, as well as casting information for Star Trek 11, will be revealed at J.J. Abram's Comic-Con panel today. Stay tuned!
Nagato
Cognitive Organic Lifeform

Post by Nagato »

What was Star Trek 11 even about?

Or do we know that yet?
Kei

Post by Kei »

Well, the panel is over. The poster is legit, but the title of the movie is not "Monstrous". J.J. Abrams says the official title will not be revealed for some time. Also, the movie will not involve a parasite of any kind.

Star Trek 11, officially known as "Star Trek", revolves around Kirk and Spock. Spock will be portrayed by Zachary Quinto. It has not been announced who will portray Kirk.
Kei

Re: Cloverfield

Post by Kei »

Well, the movie is a success. It's grossed 80 million so far (its budget was 25 million), and has yet to be released internationally.

Needless to say, J.J. Abrams is in good standing with Paramount right now. Now we'll see if he can deliver with Star Trek.

In addition, Paramount has greenlighted a sequel to Cloverfield, which may begin filming later this year.
Suzonri
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by Suzonri »

I saw the movie myself, it was pretty great. A sequel could work for it.
=o
Kei

Post by Kei »

Well, I figure by this point, everybody who wants to see this movie has already seen it. So, I present you with... MAJOR SPOILERS!

I have been researching the Cloverfield monster, and I now present you with my findings. If you do not want the secret spoiled, don't open the spoiler! Otherwise, read on.
Spoiler:
Vital Statistics on the Cloverfield Monster
All information below is taken from the Cloverfield movie, the marketing campaign, or the comments of the writers and producers relating to the movie.

Name: Unknown. The U.S. Department of Defense refers to the monster as 'Case Designate Cloverfield'; therefore the monster will hereafter be referred to as Cloverfield.

Origin: Previously undiscovered aquatic animal. Cloverfield is apparently a newborn of its species. The creature has been underwater for thousands of years before awakening recently for unknown reasons (possibly linked to a satellite that crashed off the coast of Manhattan a month prior to the movie's events). The creature is known to have destroyed oil drilling platforms and consumed whales prior to its attack on Manhattan.

Size: 350 feet tall (approx. 106 meters tall)

Appearance:

Behavior: Cloverfield's behavior is best described as that of an enraged animal. Upon entering Manhattan, the creature was confused and frightened of this new environment, and enraged by the military's attempts to stop it. Additionally, the monster consumes humans on a regular basis.

Powers and Abilities:
Cloverfield is extremely durable, being impervious to most conventional weapons. Over the course of the movie, it was attacked with personal firearms, vehicular artillery, air-to-surface missiles and unguided conventional bombs. None of these weapons appeared to injure the creature. Cloverfield is also extraordinarily strong, being able to topple skyscrapers with little effort. Cloverfield is covered with parasites: dog-sized arachnid creatures that fall off of Cloverfield's skin and attack humans. Upon being bitten by a parasite, a human victim is infected with some unknown agent, which causes violent and explosive death within hours. Although it is not made clear in the movie, shots of a bite victim's corpse seem to indicate something broke out of his body, meaning the parasite's method of reproduction may be similar to that of the Xenomorphs from the Alien movies.

Eventual Fate: The fate of Cloverfield is not known. Towards the end of the film, the United States military initiates the 'Hammerdown Protocol', which one soldier describes 'leveling all of Manhattan'. Additionally, a military radio report states that 'if you can hear the sirens, you're in the blast radius', strongly suggesting that the Hammerdown Protocol involved a nuclear strike. Although the actual attack is not shown in the movie, it is known that Cloverfield survives Hammerdown.