E3 2009

You c-can discuss video gaming here. Just d-don't give Haruhi any strange ideas about dressing me up like game characters...

Moderator: Datastream Command Interface

Stilts
Sentient Organic Lifeform

E3 2009

Post by Stilts »

So, the first day of E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo) is pretty much over, and we've already had quite a few interesting and cool announcements. I've decided to house all of them in a single thread to avoid spamming the gaming forum with topics. Here are some of my favorites.
  • Metal Gear Solid: Rising announced for 360, stars Raiden = After seeing Raiden show off his ninja skills in MGS4, I was among the people that thought it would be cool if this new and improved version could get his own game. Though I would have preferred a new Zone of the Enders, I'm happy about this announcement.
  • Telltale Games creating new Monkey Island series = This announcement, though, made me squeal with glee. Telltale has done a great job reviving the Sam & Max franchise with short, episodic games, so I'm very excited to see how Tales of Monkey Island turns out.
  • Halo 3: ODST trailer released = Though you'll never see me singing Halo's praises like it's the FPS messiah, I certainly enjoyed the games. Here's hoping this standalone campaign is as fun as the first Halo's was.
  • New trailers for Dragon Age: Origins, Star Wars: The Old Republic, and Mass Effect 2 = Bioware, I love you so much. That said, I'm a little concerned that the sexual content in DA:O isn't going to be handled with the same respect and maturity as they were in Baldur's Gate II. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.
  • Ubisoft, Steven Spielberg, and Peter Jackson team up to make game = I have no idea what the Adventures of Tintin is about, but wow. Those are some big names working on it. I'll definitely keep it (and the film) on my radar.
This obviously isn't everything that happened at E3 (my fingers would get worn out if I tried to type THAT much), so please comment on other stuff that interested you.

Kei
Quantum Dominion Singularity
Twitter: mikoto_desu

Re: E3 2009

Post by Kei »

Tintin is a REALLY old French comic book series about a Belgian reporter, Tintin, who gets caught up in all sorts of wacky adventures during the course of his investigative journalism. Think Hardy Boys mixed with Indiana Jones, minus the supernatural elements of the latter.

Personally, I'm surprised they're bringing back Tintin, considering how dated it is. What's next, a Lensman movie?

One of the most interesting announcements for me (besides TOS was Microsoft's Project Natal. If it really works as well as the video demonstrates, it would be a pretty fun new way to play games.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
lazysunside
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by lazysunside »

Nice!!! Tin Tin is back. Feel so bad when the author die though.
The Fight Had Just Begun
Kagami
Datastream Command Interface

Post by Kagami »

Lazy, Herge died in 1983. None of us (well, I can vouch for you, me and Ryoko..) were born at the time. Can't see them making a game out of it either, alot of his stories were very dated, as Ryoko pointed out. But then a mystery game set in the era of tintin, the 1950's, conspiracies in the jungles of india...doesn't that bring back memories of the TV show? Was one of my favorites as a kid.

Back to E3:

I'm all for Advanced Warfare 2 which looks just as engaging as the original, and hopefully the multiplayer is still just as mad. Am kinda sick of WW2 FPS games, so COD4 represented something new

Then there is Assassins Creed 2. Ubisoft have promised to get rid of some of the foibles that hindered the first game and it does look impressive, even though the trailer was just pre-rendered. 15th century italy, eh. Looks like movement options will be mostly the same, and vantage points for scouting areas as well. Prospect of a wrist mounted pistol though...that sounds like cheating, not as fun! But I guess its the 1400's, you cannot halt progress.

Another title that has caught my eye is splintercell: man of conviction. Chaos theory was one of my favorite games ever, it just clicked on all levels, however its sequel was crap. Gameplay for that game is nearly as good as the pre-rendered scenes in the trailer, and sam fisher, despite being older, has never looked better.

I'm not sold on the natal thing though, for the wii, the wiimotes wheel just don't work very well and that works on the basic concept. Having no controller will mean even more vague controlling for racing games, and all that movement: I can so see a foot going through a tv by accident when sparring with a wizened master. However, it would be fun for a game like ravin rabbits.
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

Ah, yes, Project Natal. It certainly has potential, but I'm skeptical about how well it will work when given to actual consumers. Take Peter Molyneux's Milo, for instance. It definitely looks cool, but Molyneux is notorious for promising the moon and delivering a crescent roll. There's nothing wrong with a crescent roll, it just pales in comparison to the trip to the moon that we were expecting.

And xsirhc, you can add me to the list of people who weren't born by the time Herge died. I feel a little uncultured for being the only one in this thread who didn't know what Tintin was, though.

Despite the flaws the original Assassin's Creed suffered from, I really liked the concept of the game, so I am excited to see how the sequel turns out. Hopefully they'll address the problems I mentioned in my review (lack of mission variety, almost impossible to stealth-kill the most of the assassination targets).

Kei

Post by Kei »

A foot going through a TV is less likely than a Wiimote going through a TV.

Milo looks a bit... boring. It's just the latest in a long line of pointless life-simulation products like Tamagotchi, Nintendogs and Second Life. I prefer swashbuckling swordfights, epic battles and giant robots to little British kids, thank you very much.

Hey, Golden Sun DS! Sweet.

Also, FFVII becomes available on the PS Store today.
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

Yeah, when I saw the Golden Sun announcement I felt like getting out of my chair and doing a little dance. Also, a third-person Metroid game made by Team Ninja? Well played, Nintendo. Well played.

Oh, and I think you mean FFVII, not IV. :p

Kei

Post by Kei »

Well, they also just announced FFXV... erm, FFXIIII... FF 14. Damn you, Roman numerals!
Last edited by Taiga on Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: FFXIV actually :3
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

I was just about to post that. It's another online FF, so I probably won't care, but who knows? Maybe instead of being like a typical MMO it'll be along the lines of Monster Hunter. I'd kinda like FFXIII to actually be released before they announce another FF, though...

Kei

Post by Kei »

Stilts wrote:I was just about to post that. It's another online FF, so I probably won't care, but who knows? Maybe instead of being like a typical MMO it'll be along the lines of Monster Hunter.
HAHAHA! Oh, you're hilarious!
Joel

Post by Joel »

As long as you don't have to pay monthly for it or owt I'll get it. Anyways, there's a new PSP MGS announced titled Peacewalker. Its going to be about Big Boss and show how he created Outer Heaven from the looks of it. People speculate as well, by the wordings of Hideo Kojima, that its could retcon Portable Ops. Seems interesting though. A lot better in looks and gameplay by the trailer. There were 4 Big Bosses in the trailer though... Online co op?
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity
Twitter: Haruhi_SAMA

Post by Taiga »

Ok, so PN looks incredible.

BUT... Where the hell would I get the space to play these games? Not everyone has a front room the size of the deathstar. I'd have to relocate the XBOX downstairs, where I still don't have MUCH space.

Suppose, for special events, when it's sunny, it could be moved to the garden... but that's a lot of effort just to play a game.
lazysunside
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by lazysunside »

also, i wonder when asterix game for newer consoles is gonna come out.
The Fight Had Just Begun