American Comics Are Fun, Too

Discuss any entertainment n-not related to Haruhi, anime or manga here... and please d-don't dress me up in the bunny suit again!

Moderator: Datastream Command Interface

Stilts
Sentient Organic Lifeform

American Comics Are Fun, Too

Post by Stilts »

Unless Azgalath starts reading X-Men and decides to post more often, I have a feeling I'll be the only one adding to this thread, but hey! I figure American comics need some representation here. Though I'll do full reviews on my blog (along with other fun things), I'll talk about what comics I'm buying, series that seems interesting to me, and other odds and ends of comic news. I'll also happily answer any comic-related questions and give recommendations if anyone should want them.

So...uh...since this is the first post, I suppose a good place to start would be to ask: has anyone here read American comics? If so, what did you read?

I started out reading Spider-Man, but since I didn't have any disposable income I mostly just watched the animated versions of comic book heroes. It took the recent Watchmen craze to get me to indulge in one of the very few nerdy hobbies I hadn't yet tried. I'm currently reading Green Lantern, Batman and Robin, and whatever else strikes my fancy.

Joel

Re: American Comics Are Fun, Too

Post by Joel »

I like some American comics. I'd actually rather read them than manga these days. I used to like Spiderman comics greatly. But I now seem to have gone into the graphic novel scene, owning Watchmen and a couple of Sin City comics. Only problem with them is they're so expensive. May start buying some more regular superhero comics soon because this local comic shop only sells 'em for like £2. I would like to finish my Sin City collection though (I own books 1 and 7... not sure why 7). So yeah, I like American comics.
lazysunside
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by lazysunside »

Garfield. Thats the only thing that i like about American comic beside some web comic like WOW on game spy
The Fight Had Just Begun
Kagami
Datastream Command Interface

Post by Kagami »

Oh yeaaaah, Garfield...

Haven't read Garfield for years, yes that was a favourite. Only other American comic I enjoy is Calvin and Hobbes.
Kei
Quantum Dominion Singularity
Twitter: mikoto_desu

Post by Kei »

Calvin and Hobbes is epic. 8)

However, I don't think that's the kind of comic Dustin had in mind. I think he's referring to comics like these...

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
AzgalathQ

Post by AzgalathQ »

I'll try to make sure you aren't the only one posting here, Stilts. :wink:

I'm going to start collecting X-men comics... probably starting with the "Age of Apocalypse" comics, and then the "Astonishing X-Men" ghost-box arch.

I must say, the X-men panels have turned into a contest on how bad-ass the artists can make everyone and everything look. I should also warn you that the new stories contain typical Marvel rhetoric with lots of different dimensions involved and many over-the-top explanations. :rofl:

I'll post more when I get more comics. :flame: