Kyonism (or The Kyon Theory)

Here's where you get to discuss how totally awesome I am! That's right, a forum devoted to me, Haruhi Suzumiya. Post here a lot, especially if you're an alien, time traveler, esper, or a slider!

Moderator: Datastream Command Interface

What is Kyon's nature?

Number One
40%
Number Two
3%
Number Three
17%
Other, but Kyon is certainly not what he seems
20%
Other, but Kyon is normal and you're all making stuff up
20%

Total votes: 30

Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity
Twitter: Haruhi_SAMA

Post by Taiga »

You'd be surprised. If just metaphorically (I think... unless I really AM like Haruhi- that'd be win)... life for those around me is like that. I get extremely spontaneous at times.
Smokie
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Re: Kyonism (or The Kyon Theory)

Post by Smokie »

Number 2 and 3 induce Plot holes, by the way. (The recreation of the world 3 years ago, for example.)
I think Kyon has no powers and is simply the person to balance Haruhi. (Balance in terms of human relationship not some kind of order-chaos balancing or whatever people make up.) He may be the slider he is expecting to show up. Of course he ends up in alternate realities and.. Well, just read the 9th novel.. oO
Still if it is like that, he is a slider through his experiences like Mikuru is a time-traveler. But both have no special power.
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

*nods*

i like you :3
Phan
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by Phan »

I'm kind of leaning towards Theory #3, because of the line he says at the beginning, about how he used to believe in aliens, time travelers, and espers. The thing that really stood out was how he said if that stuff was true, he wouldn't want to be the main character. I think he gave Haruhi powers so he doesn't have to be the center of it all.

But an argument for Theory #1 is that the wikipedia entry for Kyon says "In an article that interviewed Nagaru Tanigawa, the author admitted that Kyon was originally supposed to be an esper, but while writing The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Kyon was instead portrayed as an ordinary student." This kind of disproves Theory #2 & 3, because Kyon was planned to be an esper, so there was no plan of "Superpowered Kyon" during the time that he wrote the novel.
Kei
Quantum Dominion Singularity
Twitter: mikoto_desu

Post by Kei »

If Kyon actually had the powers, why didn't he break the Endless Eight loop when he became aware of it?
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Phan
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by Phan »

Because the anime companies wanted to make money off of one storyline.

Haha, just kidding. My belief is that Kyon granted powers to Haruhi. He doesn't have any direct control, really. I got this idea from the little prologue at the start of the series where he says what he really wants is to be the sidekick and have the main character do all the fighting.

Edit: I thought about it. Maybe it didn't end for him, because he himself didn't finish his homework. I don't get how Haruhi's summer was complete at the conclusion, if her homework was done the entire time. Maybe, the Endless Eight ended because he finished his summer by finishing his own homework.
Kei
Quantum Dominion Singularity
Twitter: mikoto_desu

Post by Kei »

The general consensus is that, during the cafe scene at the end of each episode, Haruhi wanted to spend the next day with her friends. However, since nobody offered to meet with her the next day, her desire to spend time with the brigade unconsciously reset the time loop repeatedly. When Kyon made homework plans during the last episode, Haruhi happily joined in (although her outward attitude didn't betray her elation) and didn't reset the loop.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
GadgetTR
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by GadgetTR »

While I would like to believe that Kyon is normal, volume 9 has an interesting clue:
Spoiler:
The "Anti-SOS Brigade" (as I will call them) seems to believe that all it would take is Kyon's approval to be able to give Haruhi's powers back to Sasaki, which would imply that Kyon does have some manner of power.

Then again, it could just be lies or ignorance on their part.
Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Edit: Oops, didn't realize this thread was so old. =P
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

Ah, tis fine. We have no rules against thread necromancy here.

Indeed, the ASOS brigade is surely a pillar in the theories for cases 2 and 3.
Kagami
Datastream Command Interface

Post by Kagami »

Yeah, this thread is pretty old, ain't it? If it was a house it would be dusty...puts me in mind of the fact that most household dust is decomposing skin particles :)

As for Kyon being anything beyond merely human, I don't think he has any powers. His role as an anchor for Haruhi though is power enough. Reminds me also that it has been a long time since reading the novels. Personally found them to get pretty tedious after a while, and reading them online just doesn't have the same pull as a softback in your hands.
roxasbri
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by roxasbri »

My view is similar to "1", however I don't believe that Kyon uses Haruhi as his scapegoat. I believe that the reason Haruhi found interest in Kyon is because that they both want something interesting. Haruhi leads the charge to interesting events and Kyon goes along for the ride. I am more than 70% sure that I know how the series is going to end and I believe it will be related to this topic.
Kagami

Post by Kagami »

It's good to have some fresh interest in this topic, Roxasbri. You looking forward to the next novel? I see you are already anticipating the ending...
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

Honestly I'm not sure I could anticipate an ending following the thread of this topic at all... we need more to happen first, i think.
Ryu
Cognitive Organic Lifeform

Post by Ryu »

Therein lies the problem with this series: it's bloated with content and not story.
METAPOD NOOOOO
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

Isn't it only like 2 books that contain any story beyond smaller arcs?
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

Yep.

Although Astonishment will make the third. When it's released.
METAPOD NOOOOO
roxasbri
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by roxasbri »

Ryu wrote:Therein lies the problem with this series: it's bloated with content and not story.
ahh... that's is where i see the things building up, at least i think i am seeing a connection that will lead to the ending.
I see the ending, its epic....
roxasbri
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by roxasbri »

Kagami wrote:It's good to have some fresh interest in this topic, Roxasbri. You looking forward to the next novel? I see you are already anticipating the ending...
yes! i am happy to join this topic. i was suddenly hit by the thought of kyonism while riding in the car, and i looked on the internet to see if anyone else thought the same way.
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

Just out of curiosity, what do you think the ending will be?

Also I highly doubt the baseball game, the summer mansion visit, the thing with Yuki and Kyon's old friend, the movie, the mystery involving the cat, and 70% of the remaining side stories will have much to do with the climax aside from a passing reference, mostly because there's nothing that the characters really gain or sacrifice from these events and they are succinctly wrapped up without any loose ends.

Edit: The stories that I'm not counting among these are the problem in the park with the dogs, the horribly forced Valentine's day thing, and Snow Mountain Syndrome.
METAPOD NOOOOO
roxasbri
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by roxasbri »

Ryu wrote:Just out of curiosity, what do you think the ending will be?

Also I highly doubt the baseball game, the summer mansion visit, the thing with Yuki and Kyon's old friend, the movie, the mystery involving the cat, and 70% of the remaining side stories will have much to do with the climax aside from a passing reference, mostly because there's nothing that the characters really gain or sacrifice from these events and they are succinctly wrapped up without any loose ends.

Edit: The stories that I'm not counting among these are the problem in the park with the dogs, the horribly forced Valentine's day thing, and Snow Mountain Syndrome.
ehhhh... well this is embarassing... i was so sure untill i read about the 10th novel. i can hardly remember what i had connected, but something in my mind had said it all made sense (happens to me alot lol). but i still think the ending will include
Spoiler:
haruhi being forced into some point of pressure, and telling kyon the reason that she chose him was because that she thought that kyon wanted the things she wanted.I do somewhat think that kyon is the all-powerful character, and that he wanted haruhi in his life, somewhat for something interesting, but also for a challenge. i feel kyon, even though he is always pescimistic about having to do things, really does love every bit of it. That is why he wanted haruhi.

so, sorry that i got my grand scheme wrong, but i can't remember what i was thinking. just somehow it all added up in my mind...
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

I'm not so sure it is Kyon... I think that would make for a far too cliché twist.
Kagami

Post by Kagami »

Some sort of conclusive end, even with a cliché twist, is all I want.
roxasbri
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by roxasbri »

Taiga wrote:I'm not so sure it is Kyon... I think that would make for a far too cliché twist.
i wondered that myself,(if it would be too cliche) and i am in between the thought that making it cliche would follow the unpredictableness of this show(being that something unlciche would be predictable).
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

Ah, a double bluff to keep us on our toes.

Honestly I'm hoping that it's going to end in some sort of epic clash between all the factions that spills out into the real world (from the contained environments in which they usually take place) and into Haruhi's vision, leading to a blue giant rampage on reality.

From there, have Kyon and Haruhi looking on helplessly as the giants consume their world in destruction and at the very end, she turns to him with a creepy-ass smile and say "Isn't this fun?" Cut to black and roll credits, adding in a single piano accompaniment after a brief silence.

Actually I'm just hoping for a clash of some sort because for a show about a character that is a god and with aliens and stuff, there really isn't a lot of exploration of these concepts, rather there's a focus on lame wish-fulfilment and moe. In my opinion if it had been written like a sci-fi thriller (which it is whenever Asakura shows up) the whole way through rather than a "plastic youth" (author's term) it would have been a lot tighter, a lot more engaging and finished.

That said I've read all the books at least seven times. All of them.

The prose is addictive OK
METAPOD NOOOOO
GadgetTR
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by GadgetTR »

Ryu wrote:From there, have Kyon and Haruhi looking on helplessly as the giants consume their world in destruction and at the very end, she turns to him with a creepy-ass smile and say "Isn't this fun?" Cut to black and roll credits, adding in a single piano accompaniment after a brief silence.
Gainax ending LOL :P

That would be an interesting ending, though.
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

The nerd rage is almost palpable.
METAPOD NOOOOO
roxasbri
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by roxasbri »

Ryu wrote:The nerd rage is almost palpable.
dude, i thought the ending, would end very similarly, only she would be saying "but i thought you wanted this to happen, didn't you want something interesting?
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

roxasbri wrote:
Ryu wrote:The nerd rage is almost palpable.
dude, i thought the ending, would end very similarly, only she would be saying "but i thought you wanted this to happen, didn't you want something interesting?
That seems quite likely in such circumstances
FullMetal_Ninja
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by FullMetal_Ninja »

i think that some of you are all just over thinking this. Kyon is a normal high schooler, with no super natural powers. The only reason Haruhi started talking to him in the first place, was because he tried talking to her. being one of the only to do that (no matter how awkward) she got a little respect for him. She returned the favor by enslaving him to SOS brigade. (lolz)

all these crazy views make sense to an extent, but for the most part, my view takes less "leaps of faith."

but thats just what i think! :)
"A duck walks into a bar. Bartender asks 'What can i get you?' Duck doesn't respond, because it's a duck."

ーワタシワジョシュデス。

btw: if you are wondering, I am FullMetal Oatku, or John Crichton from the "Morning Rescue" episode of Bakacast.
GadgetTR
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by GadgetTR »

This is an awesome pic.

Last edited by Kagami on Wed May 11, 2011 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Three word minimum...