Spider-Man 3

Discuss any entertainment n-not related to Haruhi, anime or manga here... and please d-don't dress me up in the bunny suit again!

Moderator: Datastream Command Interface

Kei
Quantum Dominion Singularity
Twitter: mikoto_desu

Spider-Man 3

Post by Kei »

Yup, the third Spider-Man movie comes out this Friday! I probably won't see it until the Thursday after that... but I am looking forward to it! After all, Venom is awesome.

So, anybody who sees it before me can post all about it here (without revealing spoilers, please).
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Dragon
Datastream Command Interface

Post by Dragon »

I hope to see it fairly soon if not this weekend... The many commercials make it look like they did a good job on the story. I will admit that I had not been paying attention to any hype about it until the commercials started showing up... Venom looks awesome, and Sandman looks great too... I was surprised that they would include Gwen Stacy as a part of the story this late in the game... but it will be very interesting to see hoe they work her into the storyline...
Kei

Post by Kei »

Saw it Thursday... loved it. What did everybody else think?
Nagato
Cognitive Organic Lifeform

Post by Nagato »

Hated it.
And not because it barely followed the comics (I never touched them). More later.
Kei

Post by Kei »

Well, if you didn't like the comics, why are you watching the movie? It's supposed to be a comic book movie, not a cinematic masterpiece.
AzgalathQ
Sentient Organic Lifeform

Post by AzgalathQ »

I also loved it. Great movie!!

I'll have to agree with Xor.... it is made to be like the comics... otherwise we'd get another Superman movie with Lex Luther and a mountain of criptonite (sp?).
Nagato

Post by Nagato »

Ryoko wrote:Well, if you didn't like the comics, why are you watching the movie? It's supposed to be a comic book movie, not a cinematic masterpiece.
It's not that I didn't like them - I never even read them.

A friend of mine who has followed Spiderman for as long as he can remember, however, has told me that the third movie followed the comics about as closely as a chicken follows a jet aircraft.
Now, since I don't know anything about the comics, I can only base my opinion on how good the movie was as, well, a movie. They tried to stuff so much into that 2.5 hour slot that things inevitably began spilling out. Also, all that time they spent on emoparker could have been used much more productively with the two villains. Also, two villains (three?) is what I think killed it. They had to equilize their development, so both of them got shafted - though Venom got the shorter end of the stick.

So, if people who don't know the comics don't like it, and people who've followed the comics don't like it... just who is this movie for?
Kubo
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by Kubo »

Nagato wrote: So, if people who don't know the comics don't like it, and people who've followed the comics don't like it... just who is this movie for?
People like Xor who...actually liked the movie...?
Such is life...
Kei

Post by Kei »

Kubo wrote:
Nagato wrote: So, if people who don't know the comics don't like it, and people who've followed the comics don't like it... just who is this movie for?
People like Xor who...actually liked the movie...?
You make it seem like NOBODY actually liked the movie. Let me clarify.

1. No, it did not follow the comic books closely. In fact, none of the Spiderman movies have followed the comics books all that closely. Despite this, all major plot points concerning the various villains were taken from the comics, and it relied heavily on them for inspiration. Just because it isn't EXACTLY like the comics doesn't mean it's a bad movie... in fact, most comic-book fans will tell you that it's impractical for a movie to exactly follow a comic book. They are two totally different mediums, and interpretation is required when translating between them.

2. The movie was not universally hated, even among critics. A quick trip to Rottontomatoes.com or Metacritic.com will show you that 60% of critics actually LIKED the movie. And, of course, there's the little fact that it earned over $240 million in the United States alone, and over $600 million worldwide. It also remained the #1 movie last weekend, even with the debut of the highly anticipated 28 Weeks Later.

So there we have it. Even if a few people didn't like Spiderman 3, it remains overwhelmingly popular with the movie going public and is, in my opinion, a great movie.
Nagato

Post by Nagato »

Ryoko wrote:And, of course, there's the little fact that it earned over $240 million in the United States alone, and over $600 million worldwide. It also remained the #1 movie last weekend, even with the debut of the highly anticipated 28 Weeks Later.
Only because most people saw it before anyone could warn them :P
Popularity does not a good movie make.
Of course it beat 28 Weeks Later. Whole families go to see Spiderman, but anyone who takes children to a film like 28 Weeks Later should be sterilized on the spot. Bigger audience = bigger sales.

As for critics, A 60% in school is still an 'F.' Also, one of the only ones that matter has yet to comment, but the othe other one has somehow managed to read my mind.
Kei

Post by Kei »

It beat 28 Weeks Later by $50 million (28 grossed $10 million, Spidey grossed $60 million.) That means that for every one person who saw 28 Weeks Later, 6 saw Spiderman 3.

Unless each family seeing Spiderman 3 is bringing four kids, I'd say there's a little more to it than that. Also, 60% of critics is a majority (not a large one, but a majority nonetheless), which puts the dissenting opinions in the MINORITY. :)

Anyway, enough pointless bickering. Whether or not you like it is a matter of opinion, and I make a practice of respecting all opinions. Let's just agree to disagree.
Kubo
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by Kubo »

Nagato wrote:
Ryoko wrote:And, of course, there's the little fact that it earned over $240 million in the United States alone, and over $600 million worldwide. It also remained the #1 movie last weekend, even with the debut of the highly anticipated 28 Weeks Later.
Only because most people saw it before anyone could warn them :P
Popularity does not a good movie make.
Of course it beat 28 Weeks Later. Whole families go to see Spiderman, but anyone who takes children to a film like 28 Weeks Later should be sterilized on the spot. Bigger audience = bigger sales.

As for critics, A 60% in school is still an 'F.' Also, one of the only ones that matter has yet to comment, but the othe other one has somehow managed to read my mind.
You two realize that this is all a matter of opinion, right? (EDIT: It seems you do, my bad...) Popularity doesn't make a movie good, but neither do critics. I, personally, do not care that some of the movies I've enjoyed the most are more than loathed by the critics (and many other people). Heck, the only time I actually listen to a critic is for a movie that I'm only vaguely interested in seeing (oddly enough, that'd be this one). If I think a movie was excellent, then it really doesn't matter what someone else will tell me about that movie, it's just a different way of looking at it. Most times, I myself can see the shortcomings, that still doesn't make me think it was a bad movie.

...Er...getting to the point...you can't actually say Spiderman 3 is a bad movie or a good movie. It sold well, but is considered to have a poor storyline to some(most?) people. If you liked it, great. If you didn't, oh well...

This thread would be more helpful if it had some more in-depth reviews by people who've seen it (Xor and FPB could possibly give some nice reviews of it so that we could see both sides of the spectrum.) Personally, I haven't seen it yet, so I don't really know what I will think of the movie. Guess we'll see what happens.

(Also of note, a 60% in my school district is actually a D-)
(And no, Xor, I didn't mean to sound like no one liked the movie. I have no idea, as I haven't heard anyone around where I live talk about it yet...I was just trying to make a point that, if you liked it, there had to have been others that enjoyed it as well.)
Such is life...