Kyonism (or The Kyon Theory)

Here's where you get to discuss how totally awesome I am! That's right, a forum devoted to me, Haruhi Suzumiya. Post here a lot, especially if you're an alien, time traveler, esper, or a slider!

Moderator: Datastream Command Interface

What is Kyon's nature?

Number One
40%
Number Two
3%
Number Three
17%
Other, but Kyon is certainly not what he seems
20%
Other, but Kyon is normal and you're all making stuff up
20%

Total votes: 30

Nagato
Cognitive Organic Lifeform

Kyonism (or The Kyon Theory)

Post by Nagato »

There exists a following for whom it holds true that Kyon is in fact much more than the 'normal human' that the other members of the Brigade have identified him as. The most common ideas seem to go as follows:

1. Kyon is simply the pressure valve for Haruhi. He was selected by Haruhi to keep her in line. He has no powers.

2. Kyon is in fact the one with all the powers, using Haruhi as both a proxy and a scapegoat. He may use these powers consciously while in fact lying in his accounts of some events, or unconsciously and being unaware of the cause being himself.

3. Kyon is the one who gave Haruhi her powers, and he she carries out his unconscious will using these powers. When her will conflicts with his, it causes Closed Space. Haruhi will also use these powers for her own ends if it does not conflict with Kyon's will. Kyon himself does not (or cannot) use these powers, but influences how Haruhi will use hers.
Last edited by Nagato on Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AzgalathQ
Sentient Organic Lifeform

Post by AzgalathQ »

What do you mean by "pressure valve?" Please elaborate.

never mind... I got the answer. I voted for number one. Seems the most likely.
Nagato

Post by Nagato »

AzgalathQ wrote:What do you mean by "pressure valve?" Please elaborate.

never mind... I got the answer. I voted for number one. Seems the most likely.
In case not everyone gets it, I meant that Kyon is what keeps Haruhi in check. He allows her to go ahead with her outlandish schemes, but never lets her go too far. She can do what she wants and know that someone will always be there to speak up if things get too out of hand.
Dragon
Datastream Command Interface

Post by Dragon »

Although #1 is more likely...
#3 is more entertaining....
Nagato

Post by Nagato »

Dragon wrote:Although #1 is more likely...
Why is number one more likely?

(This thread was also made for discussing/arguing)
Dragon
Datastream Command Interface

Post by Dragon »

Nagato wrote:
Dragon wrote:Although #1 is more likely...
Why is number one more likely?

(This thread was also made for discussing/arguing)
Because its the impression that you get from the show.
Shamisen
Quantum Dominion Singularity

Post by Shamisen »

Argue???

If we are arguing...

Let me get my Rice Mallet first!!

If not I'll finish my nap now. *Meow*

Enjoy the magic of every sunrise.
Wonder at the sight of snow.
Appreciate the joy of living in the now.
Upon tomorrow live a new life for a new day.
Dusanyu
ASOS Brigade

Post by Dusanyu »

those arguments better be logical
bluemercury
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by bluemercury »

#3 seems more likely to me.

he says that just until the end of middle school he believed in aliens, espers, time travelers, etc. then as soon as he gives up on them all of the above show up are in front of him. what are the odds that he would run into something like that when he was about to move on to a normal life. also, he gets to encounter strange things, without Haruhi around like the cave cricket and a battle between aliens. and all the female club member are of the super cute/hot type, and they all have a crush on him, even Itsuki.

to me it sounds more like something he would want than something Haruhi would.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Nagato

Post by Nagato »

bluemercury wrote:#3 seems more likely to me.

he says that just until the end of middle school he believed in aliens, espers, time travelers, etc. then as soon as he gives up on them all of the above show up are in front of him. what are the odds that he would run into something like that when he was about to move on to a normal life. also, he gets to encounter strange things, without Haruhi around like the cave cricket and a battle between aliens. and all the female club member are of the super cute/hot type, and they all have a crush on him, even Itsuki.

to me it sounds more like something he would want than something Haruhi would.
While I doubt Haruhi or Kyon can affect free will, the rest is the basis of why I think #3 is how things are. Plus, I doubt Kyon would be hoping for Itsuki to have the hots for him :P

However, it's been demonstrated that Haruhi can affect random events, such as the lottery from the baseball game. Knowing this, why did Kyon get paired up with Mikuru in their first city-wide search despite Haruhi wanting to be alone with Kyon so badly?
bluemercury
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by bluemercury »

However, it's been demonstrated that Haruhi can affect random events, such as the lottery from the baseball game. Knowing this, why did Kyon get paired up with Mikuru in their first city-wide search despite Haruhi wanting to be alone with Kyon so badly?
Kyon was likely thinking he would like to be paired with Mikuru, rather than running around hunting the city, it would be a lot of work.

With the baseball game Kyon did grumble about it a bit but didn't really object. as long as Kyon isn't flat apposed to her will she can make as much trouble as she wants.
While I doubt Haruhi or Kyon can affect free will, the rest is the basis of why I think #3 is how things are. Plus, I doubt Kyon would be hoping for Itsuki to have the hots for him Razz
I don't think they can effect free will ether. its more like those there where made that way, if you wanted to meet aliens espers and time travelers, you'd probably want them to like you. So when they where created they would likely unconsciously like him. As for Itsuki liking him a little to much, that Itsuki's free will at work.
Kubo
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by Kubo »

I believe number 1.....due to the fact that it makes Kyon's character more entertaining that he's been wrapped up in all this, rather than that he's behind it all consciously/unconsciously. Secondly, that's what the series stated, that Haruhi is the one with the power....so I haven't really ever thought it was some other way...
Such is life...
Nagato

Post by Nagato »

It's true that both Koizumi and Nagato informed Kyon that he was just a normal person. Itsuki word doesn't carry much, but it's doubtful Yuki would arbitrarily lie.
However, despite her l33t haxx0r powers, Nagato certainly doesn't know everything. It could simply be that, for one reason or another, she can't detect Kyon's influence on Haruhi.
Also, it's interesting that (spoiler for novel volume nine)
Mikuru, Itsuki, Yuki and even Haruhi all have factionally opposed counterparts who banded together in a similar fashion to the SOS Brigade (the rival group's name escapes me). Kyon is the only one without an equivalent, which I find interesting
The thing I just can't shake is the feeling that Tanigawa has an ace up his sleeve that's going to blow everyone away. While simply discovering that Kyon has powers would be a bit 'so what?', I could see this revelation playing a big part in whatever it is he has planned.
AzgalathQ
Sentient Organic Lifeform

Post by AzgalathQ »

Nagato wrote:
bluemercury wrote:#3 seems more likely to me.
The writer thought it would be funny. 'Nuff said. :wink:
Nagato

Post by Nagato »

He may have also thought it would be funny to find a (novel volume 7)
300 year-old titanium-cesium rod on Tsuruya's mountain.
Tanigawa is just downright sneaky with his foreshadowing. Sometimes what seems like foreshadowing is really nothing at all, and sometimes stuff your brain doesn't even register is a hint of the plot of an entire volume. It's really hard to tell what's significant and what isn't.
Yuuki
Post Organic Data Entity

MEH!

Post by Yuuki »

MAIKERU.Y> I clicked on the wrong one, i was suposed to press no. 3 but i ally clicked the forth one >.<

Oh well i agree i think there is something suspisions about him :/
Komaka
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by Komaka »

In my op,Kyon-sama obviously have power.No,not the God power,thats Haruhi-sama and Haruhi-sama alone(thats why I don't give a *#@!% about what the enemy said at novel vol 9).
Kyon-sama power are more likely the power to neutralyze and surpress Haruhi-sama's power.Thats why It'll be fine as long as Kyon-sama is with her.
I am sent from the galaxy of Ultheriop by High Magister Rulthferthanas of the HIAPS Being to investigate the cause of a massive dimensional wave disruption. The cause has been a.k.a. SUZUMIYA HARUHI
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity
Twitter: Haruhi_SAMA

Post by Taiga »

Personally I can't say Kyon is a normal human... he's been through all these things. He's enlightened to Haruhi's powers... he has BECOME more than human... His purpose is more as a peon though. #1
Komaka
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by Komaka »

A peon,or a protector?
I am sent from the galaxy of Ultheriop by High Magister Rulthferthanas of the HIAPS Being to investigate the cause of a massive dimensional wave disruption. The cause has been a.k.a. SUZUMIYA HARUHI
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

both, I get the idea that it depends on circumstance =p
Last edited by Taiga on Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Komaka
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by Komaka »

I see.Then thats mean you're saying Kyon have no powers?
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

I'd assume so. I certainly wouldn't compare him to Yuki or Haruhi.

Umm... Mikuru has no powers either... she's just a time-traveller by trade. Though unprofessionally, I'd consider Kyon the same. He has travelled through time (Series 2)... that makes him a time traveller. He's also a slider by the same theory =3
Komaka
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by Komaka »

I see.And now that you mention it I realize Mikuru is a normal human.She needs tool to do timewarp.
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

Exactly. She's as normal as Kyon... if not MORE normal. Given the times they're from... Kyon is the more unlikely of the pair.
Hyde
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by Hyde »

Hmmm....In my humble opinion Kyon does have power,and I have to agree that Kyon were a neutralizer for Haruhi-san's power.Since Haruhi-san only(and obey though rarely) listen to Kyon's argument.This,I believe were due to that Kyon were the most important person for Haruhi-san though she don't openly and won't admit it.
Don't let your guard off, Koizumi. The most innocent looking can be the most guilty.
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

Yes.... Haruhi likes Kyon. Though she hides it by treating him as a slave- she knows he'll put up with it.
Tydraad
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by Tydraad »

Kyon's merely a normal character. Is there enough evidence in the series to give weight to the claim he is not? Perhaps. Certainly not enough to conclusively substantiate it, but perhaps a measure more than would be necessary for us to dismiss it as unfounded. But the entire appeal of Kyon is that he's a normal person wrapped up in extraordinary events. It's how the readers relate to him. It's why the story is told from his perspective. A story from the viewpoint of any other character would be alien to us (literally, in some cases). It's why Kyon will never be revealed to be a supernatural entity, it'd defeat the purpose of the character and signal the end of the series simply because the thoughts and actions of Kyon would no longer sync with what we would deem as reasonable or natural.
lazysunside
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by lazysunside »

Kyon is the one Haruhi like and he is the one who can make Haruhi power become useful for human....not the end of the world. If Kyon do something wrong then Haruhi will press the restart button for humanity but if Kyon do something good to her and lead on an adventure with her then she will not doing anything wrong thats the main point. Any way 1 vote for number 1
The Fight Had Just Begun
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

My position stands. Experience maketh the man. Kyon's been through some exceptional circumstances. He's more real, he's nor 'normal.'
bluemercury
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by bluemercury »

at the very least Kyon isent normal. normal ppl dont spend there days defening the world from a gods bordom.