onLIVE: it could rock your world

HA HA HA HA HA! It's hard to take this forum seriously! Post about anything you want except spam here, but follow forum rules, OK?

Moderator: Datastream Command Interface

Kagami
Datastream Command Interface

onLIVE: it could rock your world

Post by Kagami »

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47082.html

Im split on this...do we buy a game like in in the current point in time, or do we pay a monthly subscription that could cover base connection, and then add on games to that...

still, this could be a nail in the coffin for the PS3...its struggling as it is in terms of selling in the black (as it were), but if I am able to plug in this little unit and play crysis, no hassles, on my bravia, or on my laptop, or anywhere that has an internet connection greater then 5mb...

...but that could be the catch. Here in australia we do not have internet plans that cater for the sheer amount of download this thing may introduce. Speed is limited to less then 20mb/s and for over 40gb download the prices skyrocket/month.

So, plug and play aside (that sounds awesome, to play awesome new games on meagre hardware), for it to be a threat to the consoles it has to cost less to buy then a standard ps3, and less to maintain in terms of buying games/subscription. And since its reliant on the internet...demand could cause break downs or lagging...

But as the guy said, no-one has tried this before. The closest thing on a PC would be steam, where you can buy games outright and download a soft copy.

opinions?
Joel
Sentient Organic Lifeform

Re: onLIVE: it could rock your world

Post by Joel »

It seems promising but I'd imagine the prices will be rediculous. I also really don't see how it would work. Does it stream the games to the computers? If a computer can't handle a game normally, I don't see how this can cause it to work fine. Its a bit weird if you ask me. And just to point out, the PS3 is now selling as well as the 360. Some weeks its sold more. If it takes out the PS3, Xbox is going too.
Kagami
Datastream Command Interface

Re: onLIVE: it could rock your world

Post by Kagami »

yeah, i reckon its a gimmick. streaming games for a flat monthly fee + surcharges most likely. and only if you have ultra dependable internet. lagging in games is already bad enough, imagine the potential for lag here...
and in the end what are you left with? nothing. no hard copy of a game which you may play again later.

gimmick with a capital G.