Katya's Art Gallery

HA HA HA HA HA! It's hard to take this forum seriously! Post about anything you want except spam here, but follow forum rules, OK?

Moderator: Datastream Command Interface

Katyusha
Sentient Organic Lifeform

Katya's Art Gallery

Post by Katyusha »

Featuring random artwork from... me. :P At random intervals. I dunno where else to put it.

Saber, from Fate/Stay Night (10/05/07)
(Eyes arn't quite the same size, but... still fairly pretty.)

Saber (sideview), from Fate/Stay Night (10/05/07)
(Hmm.. I rather like this one... came out prettier than I thought..)

Just so lazy gets the idea, his posts are blocked by default off my side, and it will stay that way.
Kei
Quantum Dominion Singularity
Twitter: mikoto_desu

Post by Kei »

Nice! :D

Ever try creating your own characters?
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
AzgalathQ

Post by AzgalathQ »

Ryoko wrote:Nice! :D

Ever try creating your own characters?
Yah, I think you'd do well with it. :wink:
Katyusha

Post by Katyusha »

Problems? I'm inherently lazy, and creating a character from scratch requires too much work. Some old artwork... for the benefit of those who dont remember them or for anyone who hasnt seen them before.

Deedlit, Record of Lodoss War (03/06/06)
(Eyes arn't quite matching... or the same size...)

Deedlit, Record of Lodoss War (09/06/06)
(One of my personal favourites...)

Roy Mustang, Full Metal Alchemist (06/06/06)
(Glove and hand are too huge... messed up the depth)

Nina Wyndia, Breath of Fire II (22/09/06)
(A favourite of mine.)

Just so lazy gets the idea, his posts are blocked by default off my side, and it will stay that way.
Dragon
Datastream Command Interface

Post by Dragon »

Very Nice work!!!!
Kei
Twitter: mikoto_desu

Post by Kei »

Yeah, but copying characters is easy... it's good to challenge yourself. I bet you could come up with some good characters of your own easily.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Dragon
Datastream Command Interface

Post by Dragon »

Its still far better than anything I could possibly do.
My art skills are non-existent.... Thank you American Scholastic structure!!!
AzgalathQ

Post by AzgalathQ »

Dragon wrote:Its still far better than anything I could possibly do.
I think you're short-changing yourself. You seem to be pretty good... I still think you should at least try.
Shamisen

Post by Shamisen »

AzgalathQ wrote:
Dragon wrote:Its still far better than anything I could possibly do.
I think you're short-changing yourself. You seem to be pretty good... I still think you should at least try.

Time and time again We've discussed this subject...

You should become less lazy and give it a go....

You do have talent...

Enjoy the magic of every sunrise.
Wonder at the sight of snow.
Appreciate the joy of living in the now.
Upon tomorrow live a new life for a new day.
Katyusha

Post by Katyusha »

Saber, from Fate/Stay Night (-Work in Progress- 01/08/07)

A work in progress, but I'm rather liking how it looks so far. The sword is Caliburn rather than Excalibur, because it was more aesthetically pleasing, and just a pleasure to draw, especially the elaborate designs on the scabbard. Markings on the crossbars aren't done yet. Personally, I like how her facial expression turned out.

After this one... maybe I'll do Innes from FE8. I just his smug expression for some reason.

Shamisen

Post by Shamisen »

Nice very nice... Welcome back my friend... :D

Katyusha

Post by Katyusha »

Haven't been on much due to being somewhat busy. More artwork to come.

Katyusha

Post by Katyusha »

Saber - Fate/Stay Night (02/08/2007)

It's done. I had fun doing all the little details. Caliburn was abit of a pain, and I think the decorative pattern on the crossguards came out abit darker than I thought, but it looks pretty nice still. I gave her tassets a slimmer profile than the massive ones in the series and game. They look quite abit smaller, but it gives her abit more of a sleeker look. Overall, I rather enjoyed doing this one.

Katyusha

Post by Katyusha »

Linky!
Hector - Fire Emblem 7 version (03/08/07)

Why Hector? Because he kicks ass. Eliwod and Lin dont hold a candle to him. This is a rough copy of his final scene. The long flowing cape wasnt quite as much fun to do as all the little details in Saber's armour, but it's a nice, dramatic image. I'm fairly happy how it turned out.

Edit: Image was too wide. I changed it into a link. Please either link or thumbnail images wider than the forums next time. --Ryoko

Katyusha

Post by Katyusha »

Odd... considering the image is only 640x480, same as 1 of the Saber images, and the images of Roy and Nina, so it shouldn't be all that wide.

Meh... in anycase.

Saya, Blood+ (04/08/07)
To be perfectly honest, I'm not overly fond of Saya's character design, especially in the anime. It looks abit too masculine personally, but I didn't have as many good reference images from the manga. I couldnt quite grab the "glowing red" look for her eyes, and I think the right arm came out abit skinny. Done by request from the Fire Emblem Fusion forums. ~_~

Tohsaka Rin - Fate Stay Night (04/08/07)
Tried to grab the usual haughty expression on her face she displays so prominently in both the series and the game. This would roughly be where she hurls some of her charged jewels at Berserker in the Fate Scenario. It actually came out alot better than I was expecting. Done by request from the Fire Emblem Fusion forums. ~_~

Nagato
Cognitive Organic Lifeform

Post by Nagato »

I'm beginning to wish we actually watched the same stuff :?

And yes, Rin's hair looks like it was a nightmare :shock:
Katyusha

Post by Katyusha »

I spent more time on her hair than the rest of the drawing put together. And more Fire Emblem artwork..

"Flight of Chivalry" - Fiora - Fire Emblem 7 (05/08/07)
I've always wanted to do 1 of those dramatic images of someone on a horse, so I figured, why not a Pegasus? Unfortunately, I didn't have any decent reference images of the FE Pegasi (the really small one in the closing credits of Sacred Stones doesnt count, I dislike squinting into the small GBA screen), so this one is based more off Rider's Pegasus from Fate/Stay Night. Unfortunately, I'm also generally unfamiliar with equestrian equipment, and therefore the saddle is all wrong, partly because I'm not used to drawing them, but mainly since the huge wings were in the way and I had to improvise around them. It doesnt help my only reference for the saddle is Florina's official artwork. Spear is abit wrong, as is her posture, and the headpiece I drew was actually Florina's instead of Fiora's (oops). However, I do kind of like the result, even with all it's flaws. I tried to minimise shading on the pegasus, to give it the "imaculately white" look. Didn't seem "bright" enough, so I resorted to the old standby of making the background darker instead. Done by request from the Fire Emblem Fusion Boards.

Up Next... probably something from Victorian Romance Emma. Because Emma is pretty.

Raykun
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by Raykun »

O.O nice pic of flying horse
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity
Twitter: Haruhi_SAMA

Post by Taiga »

Ok... a little crit... umm... I'm stuck.

I'm impressed by your drawings, they're better than mine. The thing is... pretty much all of mine is sans any reference. It's all raw memory-drawing From the looks of it you've grabbed a picture and slowly drawn it trying to get as accurate as possible. This is evident from the fact that the styles are almost identical to the original.

That's the logical conclusion anyway. I'm pretty sure that you've done a LOT of drawing to become that good... that or you have one HELL of a lot of raw talent. I'm kinda envious.

Can you run me through your drawing process?

And... my deviantart page is in my signiture if you wish to see my own drawing.
lazysunside
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by lazysunside »

Well dun worry If u keep praticing then u'll be fine. Its true that his drawing is better than mine too. But i just try to be creative. Evrybody is amature at first start. Right now, i'm creating my own characters and creating my own style. Its hard but i keep thinking for it. Right now i got the basic style myself. I'm trying to create my own eyes style. Its hard to choose between small eyes and big cute eye u know but i got the big one. now i'm trying to get the small one.
The Fight Had Just Begun
Pixel
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by Pixel »

Yeah. From the looks of it, you look like you're just staring at a picture, then trying to copy it to the last detail.

My advice is to make your own characters and draw with no reference. That'll be the true trial of your artistic skill.

...I hope this person is active and comes back to read this >_>
Shamisen

Post by Shamisen »

Pixel wrote:Yeah. From the looks of it, you look like you're just staring at a picture, then trying to copy it to the last detail.

My advice is to make your own characters and draw with no reference. That'll be the true trial of your artistic skill.

...I hope this person is active and comes back to read this >_>
He's a personal friend I'll inform him of your comments..

Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

Pixel wrote:My advice is to make your own characters and draw with no reference.
WRONG!

Reference is the most important part when learning to draw! Why do you think you do so much still life in an art course? Having based my future on drawing... i have come to find it the most useful thing.

Start by doing exactly the opposite of what Pixel said! However... rather than looking at the picture itself... look at the proportions, style and technique.

Best reference material: Ecchi (More commonly known as Hentai... but that's wrong) or real nude pictures.
lazysunside
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by lazysunside »

Well everybody know. Even Davinci himself used Mona as a reference.
The Fight Had Just Begun
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

He did? Learn something new every day.

What I DO know is that my style takes heavily from Kyo-Ani (If you don't know them... you shouldn't be here), Akamatsu Ken (Negima!, Love Hina, A I Love You) and Fred Gallagher (Megatokyo).
lazysunside
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by lazysunside »

He did but he also use something else too or someone else. First i try to copy too just like the other guy but now i create my own style after ef a tale of memories or some picture book in aethereality.net <--- check it out
The Fight Had Just Begun
Pixel
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by Pixel »

Heh. Wrong?

Yes, of course you have to use references. Especially to learn to proportions of the human body. I used references in my manga class to learn proportions after all.

I suppose what I meant to say was...after you learn HOW to draw, in order to establish your own, personal art style (instead of practically tracing the art of all the famous artists you can find) you should try to draw without reference, and use your own imagination. A bird cannot fly if the mother won't release it from the nest. Parents must let go of a child to let it grow on its own.

Yes, references are important for learning proportions. After I learned proportions and the basics to making anime eyes, I stopped using references. Right now, I draw using only my own imagination. However, recently, I think I need to start using references again, so I can start adapting to making details in the clothes (like the folds in cloth).
Taiga
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by Taiga »

I don't draw with reference often... but I do use it more and more as i try new poses. I really don't understand how you managed to not say it how it is in the first place.

Meh.
Pixel
Pre-Cognitive Lifeform

Post by Pixel »

Meh.
lazysunside
Post Organic Data Entity

Post by lazysunside »

Meh? I think its hard to say thing that the other people will look down on u, desho? desho?
The Fight Had Just Begun