Even though the winter anime season has just begun, the intertubes are already ablaze with anticipation for the upcoming spring season, fueled largely by the charts released by The Cart Driver and Cowboy Bimbop. Since anticipation makes the heart grow fonder, I’ve decided to speculate on which shows will catch my fancy this spring. Of course, since all I have to go on is a thumbnail and plot summary, everything I say here is little more than an educated guess… so don’t take it TOO seriously. I’m sure I’ll be adding and dropping shows to this list once I see the actual trailers.
My picks are below the break. Tell me yours in the comment section!
Shows I’ll Probably Watch
- Kampfer fur die Liebe: The original Kampfer is something of a guilty pleasure for me. I freely admit that it’s a terrible show, with a story that’s full of wasted potential. Still, it was a lot of fun to watch and had some pretty decent fanservice. This followup is only a two-episode special (not a full second season as I had previously believed), but I’ll still be checking it out to fill my brainless fanservice quota.
- Toriko: I’m getting a strong Yakitate!! Japan vibe from this one… plus the promo art of a musclebound blue-haired manly man just screams “BROMANCE!” I’ll be watching this one for Dusty’s sake, if nothing else.
- Tiger & Bunny: If it wasn’t bad enough that Gainax was making an anime sponsored by Subaru, now Sunrise has created a show where companies can purchase ad space on the characters themselves. I’ll be watching this out of sheer morbid curiosity.
- [C] The Money of Soul and Possibility Control: From what I can gather, this seems to be a show about economics, moe and the destruction of Japanese society by rampant consumerism. Oh, and it’s on Noitamina. A definite must-watch.
- Deadman Wonderland: Post-apocalyptic action anime featuring prison gladiatorial combat and mysterious superpowers? My god, the Eighties are back!
- The 4koma War: As a fan of Lucky Star, I’m really looking forward to Kyoani’s next big 4koma adaptation, Nichijou. But the other 4koma anime of the season, A Channel, has also been getting a lot of positive word-of-mouth. Who will prevail? It’s an all-out moeblob BATTLE TO THE DEATH!
- Dororon Enma-kun: This show feels a lot like Magipoka, one of my all time favorites, plus it’s being animated by Brains Base.
- Electromagnetic Wave Woman and Adolescant Man: Shaft + Shinbo. Enough said.
Shows I May Watch
- Sket Dance: The premise sounds a little too much like Ookami-san for my liking, but this show does have a fantastic art style. I’m willing to give it a chance.
- Moshidora: Apparently based on a famous novel that combines baseball, business management and Peter Drucker, this show has the potential to be quirky and heartwarming.
- Health & Physical Education for 30-Year-Olds: This is the anime that will allegedly teach awkward virgin men in their mid-thirties how to meet and bed women. Despite the interesting premise, I predict this is going to be a little to PSA-ish for my tastes.
- X-Men: We’ve already been burned twice with Iron Man and Wolverine… but maybe this time Madhouse will get its act together! Ah, who am I kidding. This is going to suck, but I’ll give it a chance anyway for Psylocke’s sake.
Shows That Can Go Frak Themselves
- Lotte’s Toy: From the studio that brought you Kodomo no Jikan comes yet another half-assed fanservice anime that, despite its provocative premise, will feature absolutely no sexual content whatsoever aside from the occasional double entendre. If you really want loli titillation that badly, go read a frakking doujin.